Smoking in extreme cold

Started by Nomad, December 14, 2009, 08:10:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nomad

QuoteI have also added a second element and I also control them with a PID so I have no problem getting up to temp

Mr Walleye, thanks for the post. I will try what you mentioned, but what is a PID?

FLBentRider

Quote from: Nomad on December 15, 2009, 11:26:43 AM
Quote from: Huntnfreak on December 14, 2009, 05:34:56 PM
Nomad- welcome to the forum and I thought I had it bad!  I'm dealing with about -16* F.  Where are you at?  I won't get those temps for another month or so.  The good thing is it will give you lots of time to fill the freezer with things to smoke.  The nice thing about being below freezing for 5 months here in Minnesota is that I have a really big freezer right outside my back door!  Good luck getting a "warm" day and happy smoking!!

I live in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta which is just outside of Edmonton up here in the Great White North. We're setting all kinds of temperature records right now. We hit -46*C the other night. We could use a little global warming up here.  ;D

We're getting all the warming down here! Click Here for My Weather

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Nomad on December 15, 2009, 11:38:03 AM
QuoteI have also added a second element and I also control them with a PID so I have no problem getting up to temp

Mr Walleye, thanks for the post. I will try what you mentioned, but what is a PID?

Hi Nomad, a PID is a proportional–integral–derivative controller . In a nut shell, it's a very precise temperature controller for the smoker. Here's a link to some reading. PID

This is a popular one for the Bradley smoker. Auber PID
HawkeyeSmokes

Mr Walleye

Nomad

A PID is a very accurate temperature control device. Most here use the Auber. Here is a link...
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=72

You can also build your own. Here is a link to plans....
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=504#post504

Here is the write up I did on adding the second element...
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=910#post910

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

hal4uk

Nomad, you should be able to unload the snowblower on EBay, But ya just never know...
My cats have been on there for 3 years now, and I haven't had a single bid  ;D
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

Father Tom

Minus 45* F and still smoking.  What a group!!!! Diehards to the end.  I tried smoking 10 cornish game hens Wednesday.  BS in Garage with door open.  OT was 20*.  Hens at room temperature of 60*  Vent 3/4 open.  Two large bricks in smoker.  IT never got over 140* in eight (8) hours.

As someone has said.  Put in two elements.  will do this month.  Hens were ok if BBQ"ed or microwaved for 5 minutes. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

FT

MPTubbs

Quote from: Father Tom on January 01, 2010, 09:11:31 AM
Minus 45* F and still smoking.  What a group!!!! Diehards to the end.  I tried smoking 10 cornish game hens Wednesday.  BS in Garage with door open.  OT was 20*.  Hens at room temperature of 60*  Vent 3/4 open.  Two large bricks in smoker.  IT never got over 140* in eight (8) hours.

As someone has said.  Put in two elements.  will do this month.  Hens were ok if BBQ"ed or microwaved for 5 minutes. :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

FT

I did four 5 pound chickens (2 beer can and 2 flat on their backs) and it took 13 hours.

Poltry has a lot of moisture in them and it takes awhile to do a great job.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

KyNola

mptubbs,
What was the tower temp during the 13 hour period?  That seems like a REALLY long time to do chickens.  I would have brought those kids in after the smoke period and finished them in the house oven.

I'm an alarmist but 13 hours of poultry in a low temp environment would scare the heebie jeebies out of me.

KyNola

MPTubbs

Quote from: KyNola on January 04, 2010, 06:29:38 AM
mptubbs,
What was the tower temp during the 13 hour period?  That seems like a REALLY long time to do chickens.  I would have brought those kids in after the smoke period and finished them in the house oven.

I'm an alarmist but 13 hours of poultry in a low temp environment would scare the heebie jeebies out of me.

KyNola

I don't have my notes with me at this time but I'm think'n the tower never got over 190*. 190* was the highest temp towards the end.

We ate and everyone thought that it was the best chicken they ever had!

P.S. Nobody got sick! ;D

KyNola

Glad to hear it all worked out well for you.

KyNola

MPTubbs

My next smoke will be Friday or Saturday and I'm do'n baby backs.

High will be -1* with 4 more inches of fresh snow on the ground.  :o

Dr. Evil

Quote from: Nomad on December 15, 2009, 11:26:43 AM
Quote from: Huntnfreak on December 14, 2009, 05:34:56 PM
Nomad- welcome to the forum and I thought I had it bad!  I'm dealing with about -16* F.  Where are you at?  I won't get those temps for another month or so.  The good thing is it will give you lots of time to fill the freezer with things to smoke.  The nice thing about being below freezing for 5 months here in Minnesota is that I have a really big freezer right outside my back door!  Good luck getting a "warm" day and happy smoking!!

I live in Fort Saskatchewan, Alberta which is just outside of Edmonton up here in the Great White North. We're setting all kinds of temperature records right now. We hit -46*C the other night. We could use a little global warming up here.  ;D

Hey buddy - Im just down the road from ya....in Sherwood Park...cool to see someone local....

Sorry for the thread derail....
Brian Bradley for Prime Minister !!

Quarlow

Hello Dr. I really liked Sherwood park. Use to stop at the new petro-can truck stop when I trucked through there when I work for Penner International. The truck stop was brand new then.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

MrsHoss

Quote from: hal4uk on December 14, 2009, 04:48:26 PM
Hi Nomad, Welcome to the forum!

B-B-B-B-B-B-B-BRRRRRRRRRRR....
Minus WHAT???...

Well, this is slightly involved, but it will work: 
1) Set the Smoker in the middle of the biggest room you have.
2) Wrap it up with old towels, newspaper and such.
3) Carefully, put the whole thing in a cardboard box and tape it shut.
4) Do the same thing thing with all the rest of your stuff.
5) Call a moving van.

That's what I would do.lol ;D