Auber Dual Probe Test Run

Started by classicrockgriller, January 16, 2010, 06:04:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leftcoast smoker

CRG you should be getting a cut on these things, I just ordered mine as well, dual probe/extra relays and even added an extra wall mount probe just incase I decide I dont like free hanging one, I already have the ET-73 hanging in there gonna start looking like spaghetti, now I need to find an extra burner
leftcoast

Canuck

Hi guys new to the forum but have had a Bradley several years.

Recently received my dual probe from Auber and a maverick smoker thermometer.  At the low end 120 -160 the read very close to each other but at 230-270 they differ by 10 degrees.  Any way to tell which is closer??  DBS is 10-20 degrees lower than either.

I have both probes placed together just under the top rack.

Thanks
Kevin

classicrockgriller

For this test run, I put a rack the same height as the Bradley Thermo on the back wall.

Then placed the Auber and Maverick thermo sde by side.

Or you could use the boiling water to check your thermos.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Canuck!

I would boil some water, stick the probes in and trust the one that is closer to 212F
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum Canuck!

After checking your probes, if you feel the Auber is off it can be adjusted +/- 20 deg for either probe. The directions are on page 11 Sec B.
HawkeyeSmokes

Canuck

Thanks for the info guys.  I had know way of knowing which was correct.  I will try the boiling water and see which is closer as FLBentRider suggested and adjust from there.

Toker

Hey mister CRG did you return you pid for Auber to change the chip or you just kept it with is original one? Me i sent it back.

classicrockgriller

Why do I have to have the chip replace?

FLBentRider

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 06, 2010, 07:45:46 AM
Why do I have to have the chip replace?

While you were in Mississippi, we discovered that you can't set the temp higher than 284. F or C, doesn't matter.

Auber said that they can either send you the chip or you can send it in and thy will do it.

I haven't even taken mine out of the box yet. :-[
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Toker

Because on Auber site the pid was listed 393F and we can not get higher 284F I thought it was a good thing to steaming my pastrami inside at 300F but was unable so i sent Auber an email and they have reply by saying that the inside chip has a bug and they told me to send it back so they could change it and send it back for free. And for 28$ extra (including extra shipping for Canada) i asked them to add the relay and wirering everything for me so it could controll my smoke generator at the same time since mine is not digital.

So if you feel that you need extra power heat from 284 to 393F email Auber and send it back they will fix it for free and ship it back free too. Its up to you. The new chip should be available by Feb 10.

classicrockgriller

The Bradley won't go to 393*F and I only preheat to 250*F so I think I'm good.

The thermo fuse rating is a 150*C, 10amp, 230V fuse.

leftcoast smoker

Guys, a quick work around would be to use it in celcius if you really need higher temps
284*c=543*f and I don't think you could or want to acheive that temp anyway

leftcoast smoker

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 06, 2010, 09:19:41 AM
The Bradley won't go to 393*F and I only preheat to 250*F so I think I'm good.

The thermo fuse rating is a 150*C, 10amp, 230V fuse.
150c is equal to 300f so there you go the preset on the auber of 284f is perfect, actually getting a little close to blowing the thermal fuse
I think I'll stick with the chip I have

classicrockgriller

The fuse is protected some and is on the backside of the wall, but for me a 250*F pre-heat is high enough.