Trying ribs today, modified 10.5 style

Started by RickWL63, January 16, 2010, 07:39:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RickWL63

My first batch of ribs was "okay," but the wife wasn't impressed.  I knew you folks probably had this down to a science and found 10.5's pictoral.  The overnight marinade was something I never tried before, used to boil them in the spices then finish them on the grill.  I also used a larger quantity of rub, much more than I am used to.  I'm already a half hour into the smoke, but they sure looked good going in the BDS.  My only gripe with the BDS is that it only adjusts in 10* increments, but it is something I can live with.  I will post pics of my journey after they are done.

After peeling the membrane, I soaked them for a bit in a mixture of low sodium soy and worchestershire sause (about 75/25), then put them dripping on the plastic wrap and gave them a good coating of Alan Jackson Mesquite BBQ Rub that I found at Cracker Barrel (first time using so I will definitely comment on the taste of this product later, smells good though).  The smoke is alternating between hickory and apple pucks and set for 3-hours.  I will try the apple juice splash too.

FLBentRider

How did you do the first batch that didn't come out so well?

You will hear a resounding "NEVER BOIL RIBS" from the folks here, including me.

It sounds like you have a plan. I do mine a bit differently, but the Tenpoint5 method is tried and true.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

RickWL63

I thought they were good, but the wife just wasn't impressed, probably because they weren't greasy.  I didn't use much rub and only marinated for a couple of hours.  We'll see how this overnight marinade and additional rub make a difference.  I didn't wrap them in foil either, just sauced them and let them sit for a half hour in the smoker. That might have dried them out a bit. I will be following 10.5's foil and sauce method this time.

Tenpoint5

BOIL RIBS!!!!! Blasphemy I say Blasphemy. Ok I have that off my chest. It sounds like you will have some finger sucking good ribs here in a few hours.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

classicrockgriller

Ribbbs, been awhile. Need to do some.

Looking forward to seeing the pics.

squirtthecat

Same here.   There is a rack of BBs out in the freezer that is calling to me..

RickWL63

Here we go.... I'm ready for supper.....

Starting out after the marinade

Juiced!

Sauced

Sliced!

My 5-year-old likes them (thinks the mesquite rub is a little spicy).  Wife is liking the smoke flavor now.  I think all turned out good.

Thanks for your support!

Rick

hal4uk

Those look GREAT!  Way to go!

Of course, if you ever decide to go back to the old way...

Boiled Ribs Recipe:

Bring 4 gallons of water to a rolling boil.
Add 2 quarts of Pennzoil 10W30.
Very slowly, pour in 6 quarts of ammonia.
Add 1-2 old tennis shoes (to taste).
Reduce to a simmer and add the ribs to the pot.

Simmer very low for 8 hours.
Then call a HAZMAT team, have the ribs (pot and all) removed from your abode and buried in a vault.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

FLBentRider

Those ribs look great!

They pulled back from the bone, looking very tender!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MPTubbs

Very nice!

Looks like their finger lick'n good.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

classicrockgriller

Nice Job Rick!

Looks like you are getting some color change in the Bradley.

Looks great!

RickWL63

Thanks all. Hal, will file that recipe with my last one...  ;D  Yes CRG, the bradley is getting cured nicely.  I keep it in the garage and at times it smells pretty good as I walk past.  Just got back from the movie with the wife and had supper, the ribs tasted great and she liked them as well.

It's been a great day all around.  Stopped by the grocery store on the way home from the movie and Pork Butt was .99/lb.  Picked up 3.  Never know what next week will be like.  Since Monday is a federal holiday, one might get thrown in tomorrow.  ;)

I do believe I am getting the hang of this.

Rick

MrsHoss

Those look great.  Smoking is much better than boiling!

Tenpoint5

Them ribs look PDG from this vantage point!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Nice going Rick.
Indeed, you are getting the hang of it just fine.

KyNola