How is your OBS mounted?

Started by unsmokedham, January 19, 2010, 05:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unsmokedham

Ok, so I'm a smokin' newbie thru and thru. I just did my first smoke and turned out good in my opinion (see other post in 'Hot Smoking & BBQ' forum). I have my OBS setup in a temporary fashion and need to determine a more permenant mounting solution. I live in the Upper Mojave desert of So CAL and the winds can really howl here on occasion at different times of the year. If it ain't tied down, it can easily become property of the neighbor down the street or sometimes across the neighborhood. I actually had a smaller roll around BBQ grill do a series of tumbles across the backyard off the patio one night before I started tying that down.

Now, for my dilemma. I want to keep the OBS system setup handy to do weekend smokes but have it stay put during the week. My plan is to build a wooden bench tall enough to put the OBS at a comfortable working height and have a small work area beside it for meat platters, etc. The idea is to anchor the bench to the patio pad and have the OBS strapped to the bench on each side with a metal strap going over the top at the rear of the OBS.

Now before I venture off into my workshop and come up with my verison of the FrankenSmoker Bench, I'd like to see what others in similar situations might be using to give me ideas.

Thanks for the help.

Gene

NePaSmoKer

Here is my latest Bradley home.

squirtthecat

Gene, this is my setup here in Central IL. (we can get some fierce winds as well)

[edit]

I just crack the doors open (bungeed together) for those cold/windy overnight smokes, but an exhaust fan is on my short list when spring rolls around.

That cabinet is screwed to a 2x4 that is bolted to my fence.   It would take a tornado to move it.
(and at that point, the missing OBS is the least of my worries)

classicrockgriller

Just remeber, the wind is an enemy of the Bradley.

You might need a wind block if it is temp when you smoke.

BigJohnT

Mine sits on top of an antique typing table with fold out wings and wheels and sits under the eve of the house. My Dad picked it up from the sidewalk on trash day I'm sure when he lived in New Orleans. The box on the right is my PLC controller for the smoker in case you were wondering.

John

Tenpoint5

I have mine sitting on top of a roll around tool cart. Could easily be strapped down to the top by the handles of the cart. Just got off work and am to tired to go look for the picture of it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

ArnieM

I got a plastic utility cabinet similar to squirt's.  Take squirt's advice:  bolt it down!  I hadn't quite decided where on the deck to put it yet so it wasn't bolted down.  Then the winds came.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

classicrockgriller

OU812

I had mine on a cart like 10.5 and the wind blew the smoker and cart over this summer, I was in the middle of a smoke when that happened. Now I have Bradley in the shed with a powered vent hood over it, and I can smoke wind, rain, hail or snow with no worries.

unsmokedham

CRG "Just remeber, the wind is an enemy of the Bradley."

You're right on that! I have found this out during the first smoke this weekend. Winds came up and the temps went down in the box. I had the vent about 1/4 open and the OBS with one heater just couldn't do the muster during the winds and 40 degF outside temps. It was chugging along but just could not get to the 195 that I had dialed in on the PID. After the winds died down, the OBS caught up and was ok. I should not have a problem this summer. Winds are at bay during the hot months and with the heat we get here, all I will have to do is just open the door to get 130 in the box easy without power :D

Good ideas from all. Thanks for the pixs. I'm going to see what I can come up with and I'll post some pixs of my creation when ready.

BTW I made up some logsheets to track my programming attempts at smoking with the OBS and Auber Dual PID. It has data for weather, temps, rack contents, bisquette used, notes area, just a simply way to keep track of different parameters. This way I can see what works and what doesn't. If anyone would like to get a copy, just contact privately.

Gene

oakville smoker

I battle the cold and snow
I decided to open the Bradley Hotel
I insulated mine because of the cold
My only "to do" is a small renovation to include a dryer vent cover with a hole behind it to feed the smoke generator

It sits on a table I built.  Initially I was goingto bolt it to the table and the wife talked me out of it
After seeing the carnage above, I will be adding a "bolt down" to my "to do" list
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

JT-MO

All this puts me to shame... my poor OBS is homeless! Just sitting there on a concret slab looking in my window on a cold night, just wishing it could warm up a little..... :'(

Quarlow

I have no permenant home for mine either. It sits by the backdoor in the kitchen or in the cloest and gives off wonderful smoke smells whenever you walk by or bend down to put your shoes on. Someday it will get a condo.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

RAF128

OS, how do you get your smoker to work when it's on it's side like that? ;D

Right now mine sits in my heated garage.   Since this picture was taken I've moved it to the right and closer to the wall which give me a little more floor space.

Caneyscud

Time for a phone call to the S.P.C.B.   

Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Bradleys!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"