BBQ Guru Which 1 to buy??

Started by deadeye, April 02, 2005, 03:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadeye

Guys I am looking into buying a Guru but I do not know which one to get?? I went to the bbqguru.com and were looking at the different ones and they range from $549 and below. Can someone shed some light on these different ones for me. Or should I just call Chez??

Thanks guys

Derek Canada

Houston texas

jaeger

deadeye,
I don't think Chez uses one. I don't think he sells them either. You should check with nxsbill. I know he has one, Sauce Bauce has one, I think Habanero and maybe BigSmoker. Check with them.

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

deadeye

jaeger

No,
They sound very nice but if I'm going to spend 500 bucks, it's not going to be on a thermometer.[:D]
More power to you if you decide to get one. I hear they work great!

<font size="4"><b>Doug</b></font id="size4">

nsxbill

I had the Competitor and now have the Procom4... I wrote a review on them several months back.  

My Review

The Use of the BBQ-Guru on the Bradley Smoker is possible with the purchase of a Raptor electrical controller along with either the Competitor or the ProCom4 controller.  These controllers were originally designed to work with wood or charcoal fired pits and barbeques, but the offering of the Raptor for use with electrical smokers makes it quite a useful accessory for the Bradley Smoker.

Having had a Competitor model prior to purchasing the ProCom4, I am familiar with both of the models offered and recommend either for your use for trouble-free control of the temperature of your smoker.  Both of the controllers are universal and can be used on any barbecue from a Weber, The Big Green egg, or a large pit on wheels.  You just have to order a damper control and fan unit from THE BBQ GURU to have that capability.

The Competitor is the lowest priced controller.  The current price is $247, Raptor included.  The ProCom4 current price is $549 alone.  The Raptor runs about $99 alone.  Current prices will have to be quoted by the sales team at The BBQ Guru

Is it worth the price?  For me? Absolutely!  Right now it makes my smoking experience trouble-free.

Hooking up to the Bradley Smoker is simple.  You unplug the cabinet and plug into the Raptor controller.  There are three other connections on the entire setup ( Raptor): a thermocouple that measures your meat temp with a probe, and a clip to clip to a shelf inside the smoker.  The next connector is a 12V connector from 110v converter, and third a low voltage wire running from the control unit to the Raptor to send (A) signal to turn the Raptor off and on.  The controllers are made out of high impact plastic, and the Raptor is constructed of stainless steel.  After hooking it up, you slide your heat control on the BS all the way on.

On the Competitor, you set the "pit" temp and the temp you want your meat temp to be, and turn on the unit. If you hold down the alarm switch for about 5 seconds, it turns off the alarms.  It is called a "good neighbor" feature.  As pit and meat temp approach optimum, L.E.D. lights come on letting you know approximately how close you are to your goal temps.  

The Controller turns the temp on and off to keep the smoker at the set temp and measures the meat temp constantly to assure the set temp is not exceeded.  It has a ramp mode which allows you to just set the meat temp and the smoker will rise to maximum temp possible and then slowly reduce heat as the meat temp (rises) approaches done temps.. The ramp mode is one of the outstanding features of the control, although I am never in a hurry when I smoke something and don't have the need to walk away..  I can walk away and my smoke will be controlled automatically.

Many folks leave the alarms on and use a baby monitor to listen for the alarms to go off.  You can also use a Maverick or other brand remote thermometer to keep an eye on your progress.

The ProCom4 is like the Competitor on steroids.  It has line of sight 600 ft. remote control capability. It allows complete remote control of every function. It has a digital alphanumeric control with a backlight and audible alarms on meat or oven over/under indication.  It will tell you at what power level your Raptor is heating, from 0-10.  It allows you to set an alarm in minutes to remind you to go back and change the water or rotate the shelves.  It displays in both degrees F. or C.  Best of all if your smoker is outside like mine, short distances, through walls, I can monitor my Bradley from anywhere in the house, outside in the garage, at the pool or in the spa.  You can even set the controller to shut down the smoker once your meat temp is reached....all from the remote.

The Procom4 also will monitor two separate areas at the same time.  If you have two types of meat in your smoker you can measure pit temp at the lower shelf and meat on the lower shelf.
The unit can be used like a remote thermometer stand alone without plugging anything in but the meat probe if you desire.  That would make it also something you could use in a conventional oven.  For instance, if you were cooking a roast, ham or Turkey in the oven indoors. (It can't control the temp of the oven, but it can watch your food temp and let you know the temp remotely.) It takes on the monitoring for you, and does it remotely.

It is pricey, but not considering there are 8 separate instruments combined in a powerful wireless.  They do offer combo specials once in awhile on the website.  If you can afford the price of the unit, you will love either model.  
I understand the reluctance on purchasing such an expensive controller, but using it allows complete "walk away from the smoker" capability if you need that, and allows the freedom to do other things than sliding the electrical smoker control back and forth in response to the alarms from my remote thermometer or visual checks of the temp via the cabinet thermometer.

I should also mention that the ProCom4 can be used to monitor and control other things such as home brew or other processes, hydroponics tanks, or even large aquariums. I understand it will go down to, and control even very low temps so that you can even do water tempering or freeze protection with it.

The controller/Raptor combination does everything except changing the water and rotating the shelves for you.  

I give it a big "thumbs up."

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Habanero Smoker

I have the competitor. Just want to add that the Ramp Mode can be used in more then one way. It important to note that the Guru does not ramp up the temperature, but ramps down. That means you can set the cabinet temperature to what you want, and the cabinet temperature will not go beyond what you set. This give you the flexibility to either start your cooking at a very high temperature or your normal cooking temperature. When the meat gets within 25 degrees F. of being done, the Guru will gradually ramp your cabinet temperature down until the meat and cabinet temperatures are equal. At this point you can hold the meat at this temperature. I have not used the Ramp Mode to hold food at a temperature, though I have seen someone post that this could make your meat dry out.

Also I have not done this yet; I am planning a barbeque this summer, and plan to use the Guru and BS as a warming cabinet to keep hot food hot until it is ready to serve.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

ChefBill

I bought the Guru/Raptor package <i><b>(800-1010-000)</b></i> for $247 and it does it all.[:p] Only thing is the ProCom4 is a wireless unit that can be programmed from in the house as well as keep tabs, <i>(with digital readout)</i> on what's going on in the Smoker BUT I just couldn't justify the difference in price right now. [:(] I may go for the ProCom4 at a later date. Both are great units as nsxbill said. [:D] ChefBill

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

xcowell

Buy a single probe wireless digital remote thermometer.Use it with Guru,instead of Guru meat probe. 25.00 does most of it !
 <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ChefBill</i>
<br />I bought the Guru/Raptor package <i><b>(800-1010-000)</b></i> for $247 and it does it all.[:p] Only thing is the ProCom4 is a wireless unit that can be programmed from in the house as well as keep tabs, <i>(with digital readout)</i> on what's going on in the Smoker BUT I just couldn't justify the difference in price right now. [:(] I may go for the ProCom4 at a later date. Both are great units as nsxbill said. [:D] ChefBill

ChefBill
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

nsxbill

xcowell

Most everyone one on the list that has a competitor or Procom4 has had a dual monitoring thermometer.  Addressing this casually as a single probe thermometer is all that is needed certainly is an option, and even a cheaper option is to use the thermometer in the door.  

As you use the Bradley, you will notice that you will be outside sliding your temperature control switch almost obsessively to make sure you don't exceed the temp you set.  To me, and persons that have purchased a more convenient electronic controller, that just doesn't work.  But if it works for you, great.

If you are using a single probe thermometer, and using the door thermometer, eventually you will want something to keep you from being outdoors all the time adjusting the smoker.  You will probably forget or get busy, and the temp will be 20-30° higher than you planned.  Again, if that works for you, great.

The electronic controllers and even the simple dual probe Maverick type thermometers aren't for everyone.  Sounds like you are set with your temp monitor.

The controllers offer the ability to set the BS temp, the meat temp, and essentially walk away and not return except to change the water and rotate the racks as needed.    

I guess if I wanted to save money, I could have bought a hotplate and picked up a cardboard box to smoke stuff in like Alton Brown on the Food Network.  A few sticks to hold the food up..a little sawdust, and bingo, I am smoking food.  

Frankly, I just wanted a little more.  Since the question asked for advice from people who have the Guru and the Procom4, and wanted to know the difference between them, I would think that your use of a single probe thermometer doesn't help deadeye in any way with his decision.

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

ChefBill

nsxbill,
I have to agree 100% with you. [:D] If you want to keep tabs while in the house. Do it like I do it, Stick the <i>Ol'</i> Maverick ET-73 probes in the meat and the smoker paired up with the Competitor probes.[:)] All you got to do is place them close together, 1/2" apart and you're in business.
This is as close as you can get to having a PROCOM4 without having one.[:(]

As for the door thermometer: It works great "Up to a Point". It may be right on the nose as things are heating up but at some point there will be up 20º difference in where the meat is sitting and the temp at the door. Door temp usually seems to be on the "LOW" side.
I monitored the cabinet temp in 4 places and the door temp was 20-25º low once the temp had settled down after preheating for 30 min. [:(]

<i><b>This is the reason we need to figure out how to install a low volume convection fan in the BS. This sure would make the Competitor/Procom4 even more accurate and eliminate rack swapping during the smoking process</b>.</i>[?]

ChefBill

Habanero Smoker

Bill,
I believe Xcowell has the RaptorGuru, I think I have read some of his earlier posts about using a remote thermometer with the guru.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">This is the reason we need to figure out how to install a low volume convection fan in the BS. This sure would make the Competitor/Procom4 even more accurate and eliminate rack swapping during the smoking process<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Guys I have a very full week but I will see if I can find time to tear apart the table top convection oven I have. It's been sitting out in that shed for years.... [:0]

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Buy a single probe wireless digital remote thermometer.Use it with Guru,instead of Guru meat probe. 25.00 does most of it !
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Did I misunderstand this? Is xcowell saying to put the probe from the wireless remote into the meat and then use the Guru to monitor the box [?]

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

xcowell

Correct,thanks for your explanation.The missed key word in my suggestion seems to have been "remote".
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />Bill,
I believe Xcowell has the RaptorGuru, I think I have read some of his earlier posts about using a remote thermometer with the guru.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

ChefBill

Raye,
There are two (2) types of convection ovens, some pull in cold air and blow it over a heating element and others circulate the hot air within the oven. When you get around to checking yours, see what type it has. If it pulls cold air then it's not going to work in the BS. ChefBill

ChefBill

nsxbill

xcowell,

When I got up this am at 3:00 a.m. I posted up a response to your post.  I was a little short, to say the least, and apologize.  Didn't know you had the Competitor already, I just thought you were advocating a single probe thermometer.  

Some, I understand to take advantage of little break on the cost of the electronics of the Competitor/Raptor, do so by leaving the alarm on, and using a baby room monitor/intercom to listen for the alarm.  A way of saving bucks for some.

The Procom4 is unbelievable, and the first time I read the instructions and tried, the first words out of my mouth were, "You've got to be sh**ing me!  This is so cool! " I continue to feel that way.  During the summer, on my days off, we spend a lot of time up by the pool, and I can tweak the temps of the smoker and the meat from 200 yards away...no my yard isn't that big, but that is the kind of range it has.

As I sit here typing, I am watching my controller's temps, and that is with four walls between me and the smoker that is outside on the deck.  I can go take a nap, go down and outstairs in the driveway and wash the car or work in the garage, and the range is phenomenal.  The auto shutdown feature also cool.

I am very glad I moved up to the Procom4 and most of the folks that have asked me have been told, you will feel the bite when you buy one, may get hell from the little woman, but later you will be kicking yourself if you don't get it first time out.

Best toy I have purchased in the past 10 years!  If you have the Competitor or the Guru, and smoking gets into your blood, like it has mine, you will ultimately want a bigger smoker.  Either of the Gurus easily adaptable to bigger pits!

Sorry again or being so short this morning!

Bill