Hello From Wisconsin

Started by northernbbq, January 16, 2010, 08:29:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caneyscud

Quote from: northernbbq on January 19, 2010, 10:49:16 AM
I have learned that I need to get a good thermometer! My attempts have been under-cooked. With the estimates of time (Ex:2hrs/lb) are you really smoking the entire time?

I once went to a place in Birmingham called Dreamland BBQ. These guys do a pretty darn good job. I would like to mirror their ribs if possible.
With the Bradley, most do not smoke the entire cook.  Depending on what you are 'Qing, anywhere between 1 hour and 6 hours or smoke.  I like a lot of smoke flavor, so on my smokes I go more, but there is a point of diminishing returns.  i.e. twice as much smoke doesn't get you twice as much smoke flavor. 

Dreamland, I have eaten there once, but did not have ribs.  Going to B'ham in 3 weeks, I intend to try their ribs.   
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Quote from: northernbbq on January 19, 2010, 10:49:16 AM
are you really smoking the entire time?

No

You will only need to smoke a brisket for 3 to 4 hr the rest of the time is just cookin, slow and low.

northernbbq

Dreamland - I loved it. I order their sauce on the internet. They make spare ribs over coals, low and slow.

Thanks again for all the feedback... any recommendations for which wood is best?

OU812

I like to smoke brisket for 4 hr with Oak.

Quarlow

Welcome to the forum.

Mesquite-Very strong
Hickory-strong
Oak-strong but not overpowering
Pecan-mild version of Oak
Maple-Mild
Cherry-Mild & fruity
Apple-Mild, fruity with a slight sweetness
Alder-Light with a hint of sweetness
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

MPTubbs

Quote from: Quarlow on January 20, 2010, 11:35:29 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Mesquite-Very strong
Hickory-strong
Oak-strong but not overpowering
Pecan-mild version of Oak
Maple-Mild
Cherry-Mild & fruity
Apple-Mild, fruity with a slight sweetness
Alder-Light with a hint of sweetness

Hey Q...do you have your wood thingie on speed dial?  :D
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Quarlow

Yeah got tired of typing it out so I saved it in a notepad. I have quite a few things going that way. Working on a basic tips for newbies for things like keep the vent open and such, you know all the things we repeat to newbies everytime a new one comes on.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

MPTubbs

Q, your the man!

Good think'n.  ;)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

hal4uk

I was gonna put KyNola's wood guide on a cheatsheet.  But, really, it ain't so hard typing "Hickory - Use it."
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

ArnieM

Welcome to the forum northernbbq.

I don't think I've ever even gone over three hours of smoke.

Yep, keep the vent 3/4 to full open.

Ideally, you want to cook by temp, not time.  Use time as a rough guide.  Temp is kinda tough for ribs so you generally go by how far the meat is pulling back from the bone.

Also, keep a log of what you've done, at least for a while until you really get the hang of it.  You can always look back to see what you did and your opinion of how it came out.  Adjust from there is necessary.

It takes a little practice.  Keep it up.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

sage03

Welcome northerbbq!!I used to live in Madison..quite afew years ago...now in NC..There's a couple of folks round here that make pretty decent BBQ,brisket,ribs and even smoked cheese and smoked salt! Too bad the Pack didn't make it any farther...been a fan my whole life!! aren't all Pack fans that way??  ;D ;D

Bobbert

Welcome to the wonderful world of smoke!!

I am from just north of Milwaukee and I have a few briskets under my belt.  Here is how I do it (Yes I know I boat my brisket, but it still comes out great everytime!

I have 8 lbs of pork butt for Saturday (MMMM  Pulled pork for the games!!!)

Bob's Beef Brisket (B3) Rev 3  Third Time is a Charm!

7  lb beef brisket ---Fat cap is key! But you can trim any thick pieces of fat

Rub (This made enough for a 6-8 lb Brisket)
•   1/4 cup paprika
•   2 T Black Pepper
•   2 T Kosher salt
•   2 T of Sugar
•   1 T Chili Powder
•   2  tsp Onion Powder
•   2  tsp Garlic Powder
•   1 tsp Cayenne
•   1 tsp Cumin
•   1 tsp Worcestershire powder (if you can find it)
•   1 tsp Horseradish powder (if you can find it)
•   1 tsp Thyme
•   ½ tsp nutmeg

Rub Brisket night before and let sit in a covered glass dish overnight.  Or in ziplock bag  (I just did a brisket and rub it and smoked it with no rest time and turned out great!)

Option – some people coat their brisket with yellow mustard and then rub it, but I have tried it –yet!!

For a BDS
•   Set Oven temp to 260 degrees and Preheat (this will help with the temp shock that will occur when you put in a hunk of brisket)
•   Set oven timer for 9:00 (just add more as you go along) and drop the oven temp to 220 degrees
•   Set Smoke for about 4 -5 hours with vent about half open! Typical is 4 hours
•   Let cook for 30 more minutes (I believe that when you start the smoker the  amount of smoke is less, but by the end of 4 hours of smoking (using the DBS smoke timer) you have a good 30 minutes of fine smoke that can be applied to the meat.
•   After smoking place Brisket into pan with a splash of Apple Juice (optional), no need to over do it (the tray will fill with drippings).  Cover with foil (boating) and put a probe in it! And cooked at an oven temp of 220 degrees I cooked this from 10pm to 9 am. Low and slow!!!  (you can also do this in your oven)
•   Cook until IT is about 193 degrees(this seem to be a nice temp).  Total cook time (smoke and boat) was 15 hours plus 3 hours FTC Brisket is done when it is done!!

Used all mesquite (make sure you hit the briquette advance 2 times prior to starting the smoke)

Fill Drip bowl full of water

I started smoking at 6PM, boated the brisket at 10PM and drop the temp to 210 degrees at 9am the next morning the IT was 193 degrees and the brisket almost fall apart!!  Then FTC for 3 hours and had a great lunch!!! The Brisket was juicy and tender - PERFECT! 

FTC - After the smoking / cooking process place the Brisket in a foil tray or wrap in foil added back some juice from the pan about 1/2cup, cover the top with Foil, wrap all that in Towels so that there is no foil showing then into a Cooler for an hour or longer the longer the better. (FTC for 3-5 hours)
Smokem if ya Gottem!!

car54

Welcome Northernbbq,

Do not be afraid to ask questions, someone will help you. This is a great forum.

I am not to far away from you. I live in New Berlin, Wi.

Brad

northernbbq

Wow to all and a big thanks! I will try the brisket recipe!

I like the talk of smoked cheese... that is on my list! Great forum.

Thanks All! I'll report on how the next effort turns out. I am feeling ribs in my future!

Quarlow

If you want to see how we build a temporary cold smoker just say so. I have pics of mine.

OBS
BBQ