Hello from the Catskills

Started by smokeinmyeyes, January 20, 2010, 08:31:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokeinmyeyes

Hi everyone. I'm Walt and I'm from the Catskill Mt area of upstate NY.  Can't wait to try my hand at smoking since I've never tried it before. My new SS Bradley is in and waiting to be picked up. My plan is to get the Aubrey control also but havent ordered it yet. Want to try it first on it's own. I'm drooling on my keyboard just thinking about some nice juicy ribs. Got lots of questions. Will sign up for the 5 day course and hopefully learn something.  Actually I've had an old electrick Smokehouse smoker around for years that I never used. Decided just before Christmas that I wanted to get into smoking so the kids got me some chips and a Bradley recipe collection but when I got the smoker down from the rafters in the garage there was a mouse nest the size of a beachball in it with what appeared to be about a dozen mice. It was a mouse free-for-all when I opened the door. They went in every direction. Well after sticking my nose in it and looking at the drip pan I just couldnt use that thing hence the new Bradley. And so here I am all stoked up and not a clue what I'm doing. I set up a table in the garage to put the smoker on and plan on running some dryer vent thru the wall so I can smoke in the garage. Still cold but no wind. Have a salamander heater I could fire up to help with the temps. So thats my plan, now lets see how it works out.  Looking forward to talking with you experts.
Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous
                                                         Hobbes

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum smokeinmyeyes!

I've not smoked mice either.  :D

Make sure you don't close the vent all the way.

If you click on the ribs at the bottom of this post it will take you to our recipe and FAQ site - lots of good info there.

Shortcut to FAQ - http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=481
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Welcome to the forum. They taste like chicken - puke.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

Welcome to the fun smokeinmyeyes your goin to love this place.

Be warned, that this type of smoking is very addictive.

smokeinmyeyes

Thanks guy's I'm looking forward to getting things setup and going.  Guess I should have tried skinning those critters before  smoking 'em huh.  ;D
Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous
                                                         Hobbes

lumpy

Welcome to the forum Smokeinmyeyes.

We've all had smoke in our eyes many times :D

Enjoy your new addiction.........I mean toy. ;)

Lumpy

NePaSmoKer

Welcome to the forum.

And hello back from the Poconos

MPTubbs

Jump on in smokeinmyeyes...plenty of room.

Remember to keep the vent open and the smoke roll'n!

;D
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

KevinG

Quote from: smokeinmyeyes on January 20, 2010, 09:05:33 AM
Thanks guy's I'm looking forward to getting things setup and going.  Guess I should have tried skinning those critters before  smoking 'em huh.  ;D

Mmmmmm burnt hair.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

dbondy

Welcome to the forum smokeinmyeyes,  its alot of fun around here.  ;D

oakville smoker

Welcome
This place is amazing
I learn so much that one day I might be able to help someone instead of always asking for help

This is addictive
The surgeon general should put a warning on the side of smoker boxes
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

ArnieM

Hi smokeinmyeyes and welcome to the forum.  You should be able to smoke outside as long as it isn't too windy, raining, snowing, etc.  It'll save you some work.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

smokeNcanuck

SMKinEyes, Welcome to the forum.  You will find no shortage of good quality help hear.  Don't feel as if anything is ever to stupid to ask
as the people hear are great.  I know I'v asked quite a few, and never been disappointed.
GOOD LUCK and don't forget to post some pics when you get going. ;)
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It