smoking time vs cooking time

Started by smokeinmyeyes, January 20, 2010, 08:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hal4uk

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 20, 2010, 09:13:16 PM
I pop in here in between watching Cartoons and the Western Channel. ;D
"You're burnin' daylight...  Pilgrim"...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

smokeinmyeyes

AAAARGH............  I just picked up my new SS Bradley and the whole bottom rear was crushed in.  RATS!!!!  So back it went.  I was really annoyed and called Bradley because I thought the packing was sort of lacking but the nice young lady told me the package should have had foam in the bottom and straps around the box that can be used to lift it.  None of which were there.  I think this was a returned unit and then shipped out to me.  So since they dont make the SS version any longer I'm going to call Cabelas in CT or PA to see if they have a digital one in stock and take the day and go pick it up.  At least I can see it and not wait a week for shipping only to find the next one damaged.  I might also mention that I ordered it through Wally World. Its really getting tough to hold the drool back listening to all you guys. I'm OK now, blood pressure coming down, breath in........
Why waste time learning when ignorance is instantaneous
                                                         Hobbes

OU812

That sucks you have to go through all that just cause the shipping guys dont care what happens to other peoples stuff.

hal4uk

Dang, Smoke...  I hate it when "stuff" like that happens.
Good luck at Cabela's.  Let us know what you get.
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

Smoke, had something similar happen to me , except the people I ordered

my first one thru went out of business two days after I ordered it.

So all is not lost, it just builds the anticipation a little higher.

smokeinmyeyes

Well I'm happier than a pig in a waller........... The new digital arrived in one piece.  Got it set up quick last night before I had to go out shooting so I'll break it in tonight.  Nice looking piece of equipment, hope it works as well as it looks. Was hoping to make some jerky for a card game Friday but I'll never make it in time now.  Which brings up a question.....There was a post I read a week or so ago where someone had a problem with his meat smelling like burnt rubber. Ended up being the door seals. One of you experts diagnosed the problem as having no water in the bowl and a fire started with the smoldering biscuits which overheated the rubber door seal.  In reading the recipe for jerky on the Bradley site, they say to smoke with no water in the pan. Sounds like a problem brewing here. I don't want a fire in my nice new shiny smoker so whats your take on no water when smoking jerky?
                                                         Hobbes

smokeinmyeyes

I didn't realize there was a special jerky forum so I'll ask about the water over there.
                                                         Hobbes

KyNola

Should be fine.  Doesn't take a lot of smoke for jerky, hence few pucks in the dry bowl and you do jerky at a pretty low temp as you're drying not cooking.  After the smoke period, you could always remove the bowl, empty the spent pucks and put the bowl back in (dry) to catch any drippings from the V-tray.

KyNola

OU812

Rotate the racks, top to bottom front to back at the same time.

smokeinmyeyes

Well I gotta tell you, This BDS is slicker than snot on a doorknob. I finally got around to seasoning it, it's only 14 degrees and windy out there so I did it in the garage and at least limited the wind. Wasn't sure about the smoke but it wasnt too bad. It's a seperate garage so I wasnt gettimg smoke in the house. An exhaust would be nice tho. Didnt figure it was going to make the 170 I set for the temp but it went all the way to 193 the first time up. It then went down to 158. But as the up/down cycle continued the deviation got less. So the 3rd time it went up to 183 and down to 163 before starting up again. Temperature came up initially a lot faster than I was figuring on after reading all the posts about slow recovery times and such. Anyway I'm happy.  Just ordered some Bubba pucks and four pieces of frogmat.  The Reveo vacuum meat tumbler is next. I ordered the pucks and mats from YardandPool,com but the Reveo will come from Walmart. The price there is only $132.74 and if you have it shipped to the local Walmart and pick it up the shipping is free. Gotta go get some dead animal and get some jerky going for SuperBowl Sunday then maybe some ribs or pulled pork. SHOOT!! hang on while I wipe the drool from my keyboard. There, hate it when I start slobbering like an old Saint Bernard.  Let ya know how things turn out.
                                                         Hobbes

Tenpoint5

Quote from: smokeinmyeyes on January 30, 2010, 02:25:13 PM
Well I gotta tell you, This BDS is slicker than snot on a doorknob. I finally got around to seasoning it, it's only 14 degrees and windy out there so I did it in the garage and at least limited the wind. Wasn't sure about the smoke but it wasnt too bad. It's a seperate garage so I wasnt gettimg smoke in the house. An exhaust would be nice tho. Didnt figure it was going to make the 170 I set for the temp but it went all the way to 193 the first time up. It then went down to 158. But as the up/down cycle continued the deviation got less. So the 3rd time it went up to 183 and down to 163 before starting up again. Temperature came up initially a lot faster than I was figuring on after reading all the posts about slow recovery times and such. Anyway I'm happy.  Just ordered some Bubba pucks and four pieces of frogmat.  The Reveo vacuum meat tumbler is next. I ordered the pucks and mats from YardandPool,com but the Reveo will come from Walmart. The price there is only $132.74 and if you have it shipped to the local Walmart and pick it up the shipping is free. Gotta go get some dead animal and get some jerky going for SuperBowl Sunday then maybe some ribs or pulled pork. SHOOT!! hang on while I wipe the drool from my keyboard. There, hate it when I start slobbering like an old Saint Bernard.  Let ya know how things turn out.
This boy ain't even done a cook yet and he's hooked reel him in.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

MPTubbs

Yep...I remember being that excited when I opened my box with my new toy in it!

;D
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Gizmo

Quote from: smokeinmyeyes on January 30, 2010, 02:25:13 PM
Didnt figure it was going to make the 170 I set for the temp but it went all the way to 193 the first time up. It then went down to 158. But as the up/down cycle continued the deviation got less. So the 3rd time it went up to 183 and down to 163 before starting up again. Temperature came up initially a lot faster than I was figuring on after reading all the posts about slow recovery times and such.

I would suggest preheating the smoker for 30 minutes or more before loading it with food.  Set the oven temperature at 320 deg and let the cabinet get to 260 or more before putting in your food.  This will help in the heat recovery from opening the door.  During the preheat, also turn on the smoke generator without any pucks loaded.  This will preheat the puck burner and the first puck will burn better.  Once the cabinet recovers to your desired temperature, reduce the heat down to your desired temperature.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

smokeinmyeyes

Well my first batch of jerky came out last night and the second batch just went in. Tasty little critters. Came out pretty good. Used a dry rub on half and the Bradley recipe in their recipe collection on the rest. Let both marinate a bit over 24 hrs.  Like Gizmo said, I pre-heated but not quite that high but will next time and turned the puck burner on also. When I loaded it up I reset the temp and times and fed a puck on the burner. But now another question.....should I set the smoke timer for just the time needed to finish the pucks - I had 6 pucks for 2 hours - or let the smoker element go for as long as the oven is on?  I thought that it may be easier to keep the temp up when it's cold out if both heaters were going.  Now I gotta find me a pork butt and some ribs. I saw a huge pork butt on the corner of Broadway and Franklin  the other day for sale but I don't think thats what I needed. Better check Hannaford & Shoprite again.  The butcher in Shoprite told me a pork butt or picnic cut is the from the front shoulder. What sense does that make?  The term Butthead just lost all meaning.  Oh well....... I be back
                                                         Hobbes

FLBentRider

The picnic cut is one end of the shoulder, the butt is the other end.

You want the butt end of the shoulder:

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!