chicken bones & lots of skin

Started by squirtthecat, January 16, 2010, 10:06:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

squirtthecat

Looking for an opinion here...

I'm tearing up a lot of split chicken breasts to get the white meat out.  Lots of bones/skin remain.

Should I boil down for stock?

I'm thinking yes...  But wasn't sure about the skin.

justpete

Yes I boil it all.

In the spring I raise 50 or so meat chickens. All the backbones are boiled down for stock.
Skin and all.

Hoss

Yeah.  The smoked bones will make a good broth, and the skin will just add that much more flavor, so chunk it in too.
Life is not like a box of chocolates.  It's more like a jar of jalapenos - What you do Today might really burn your ass tomorrow.

HawkeyeSmokes

I agree, use the skin for extra flavor.

Here's a link to a recipe from Tyler Florence that's great. Chicken Stock

It uses a whole chicken but I would think your bones and skin would work well.
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Cool.  Thanks guys!

They are in my spare pressure cooker insert, so I'll just use it tomorrow to boil 'em down..  No time to mess with it today.

standles

I always reduce some down to a very concentrated state (Ie. not that watery boxed/can stuff)
When you make that stock freeze it in ice cube trays.   I find it is easy to handle and convenient when you want to use later.  Excellent for flavoring rice etc when cooking. 

squirtthecat

I've got it 'under pressure' now...    Heavy dumps of dried onion flakes, rosemary and Mrs Dash garlic/spice blend - covered in water and hit with 30 minutes of pressure.

It does smell good...    We'll see what comes out in the end.

KevinG

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 17, 2010, 04:39:41 PM

I've got it 'under pressure' now...    Heavy dumps of dried onion flakes, rosemary and Mrs Dash garlic/spice blend - covered in water and hit with 30 minutes of pressure.

It does smell good...    We'll see what comes out in the end.

This is an awful scary post. Not sure if I want to know. ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

It was quite ugly/messy. (nothing pretty about boiled chicken parts)   I've got the stock cooling in the fridge, will defat it tonight and divy it up in freezer containers.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: squirtthecat on January 18, 2010, 10:54:55 AM

It was quite ugly/messy. (nothing pretty about boiled chicken parts)   I've got the stock cooling in the fridge, will defat it tonight and divy it up in freezer containers.

Either freezer containers or if you still have some use ice cube trays then put the cubes in a freezer bag so you can use as little or as much as you want and not have to thaw th ewhole batch out at the same time.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

squirtthecat

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on January 18, 2010, 11:51:55 AM
Quote from: squirtthecat on January 18, 2010, 10:54:55 AM

Either freezer containers or if you still have some use ice cube trays then put the cubes in a freezer bag so you can use as little or as much as you want and not have to thaw th ewhole batch out at the same time.

Good idea.   But I don't think we have any trays.   I do have some smaller Ball plastic containers meant for freezing liquids. (they are maybe 6oz each)    I'll do some various sizes.

oakville smoker

It would have been a sin not to make stock from that
All I wanted to do was slow smoke some ribs.  Another addiction created thanks to the Bradley that requires regular servicing...  But what an addiction to have.  Even better to share here with some of the best people on the planet.

Would you like smoke with that sir ?

Pachanga

Squirt,

I use a vacuum sealer without the vacuum.  Put the bag in the slot, squeeze the air out and push manual seal.  I will do two and four cup bags.  Lay them flat in the freezer for a nice stackable stock area.

This is far superior to any other stock you can buy.  Add that to one of your bean experiments in the pressure cooker.

The cats will love the solids.  I usually remove the bones.

Pachanga

squirtthecat

Quote from: Pachanga on January 19, 2010, 07:38:48 AM
Squirt,

I use a vacuum sealer without the vacuum.  Put the bag in the slot, squeeze the air out and push manual seal.  I will do two and four cup bags.  Lay them flat in the freezer for a nice stackable stock area.

This is far superior to any other stock you can buy.  Add that to one of your bean experiments in the pressure cooker.

The cats will love the solids.  I usually remove the bones.

Pachanga

Great idea!