5.66 Lbs Whole chicken (Spatchcocked)

Started by canyonman, January 21, 2010, 04:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canyonman

I smoked my first whole chicken and it came out great.  Here are the pictures and how I did it. 

I took a 5.66 Lbs fresh chicken and brined it for 7.5 hrs in Pasmoker's chicken brine (instead of maple extract flavoring I used 1 Tbls of honey).

I spatchcocked the chicken and pulled the skin back.

I applied Jan's Rub to the meat and injected butter/powder garlic mixture into it ~ 1 oz.

Pulled the skin back over and pinned it in place with tooth pics.  I then added a little - butter and garlic to the skin along with some salt and pepper to both sides.

Into the Bad Doggie it went with the temp set at 220*F and two hrs of Cherry wood for smoke.

The temp out side was between 43 and 46*F with some wind gusts at ~ 10 mph.  Starting meat temp was 48.  I left the vent 100% open the whole time.  It took 3 hrs and 20 minutes for the breast meat to reach an IT of 152.  I then moved it to my house oven that was set a 350 to crisp up the skin.  It was in the house oven at 350 for 30 minutes when the breast meat reached 165.

I pulled and FTC until my wife got home from work.  The IT when first put in FTC (double towel and microwave) was 165 to 170.  2 hrs later the IT was 138 just prior to eating.  This was the most flavorful, moist, and tender chicken I have ever had.  I'm not a breast eater because I hate dried out meat but this was so good I even ate the breast for my dinner. ;D  The wife loved it.  The total time from start to eating would have been about 4 hrs if I only FTC for 30 min and did not have to wait to eat.  Next time I will inject Italian dressing instead of butter/garlic mixture.  And I will only smoke for 1 hr instead of two.  Reason - My wife and I loved the flavor but the skin was a little rich.  We like just a hint of smoke flavoring and not too much.  I would also pull the chicken out of the BDS at an IT of 135 so that it could have longer in the house oven at 350 to crisp up that skin.  Any ways, it was a great smoke all around.  Thanks for reading.

classicrockgriller

That was a great write up.

And the yard bird looks good too.

Great job!

canyonman

Thank you.  I could not have done it without the help of the great members on this forum. ;)

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

hal4uk

Canyonman...
The finished chicken looks mighty fine!

When you FTC'd after crisping the skin, did the skin soften up any? or did it stay crispy?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

canyonman

Quote from: hal4uk on January 21, 2010, 04:52:43 PM
Canyonman...
The finished chicken looks mighty fine!

When you FTC'd after crisping the skin, did the skin soften up any? or did it stay crispy?

I believe the skin did soften a little after FTC.  And that is a great point that I did not consider.  If I want the skin to be crispy maybe I should forgo FTCing.  What do you guys think?  Thanks for the complement.   

classicrockgriller

I usually don't FTC chicken.

At a 165 to 170 IT that is ready to eat.

I do loose tent foil for a short time before eating.

Chicken has so much moisture in it and that is what steams your chrisp skin when you cover it too tight.

FLBentRider

Or, if you need to FTC to keep warm in order to stage before serving, pull it a little short of your target IT, FTC, then pop it in the oven uncovered until you get to your target IT.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

Yep, I think the FTC might have made the skin a little rubbery. I never FTC mine. I think FLB has the right idea. It sure does look tasty though.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

seemore

Awesome job, Canyonman!  And I could not agree with you more:  there are so many wonderful & knowledgeable people on this Forum who are more than willing to help!
Mrs S