butt injection

Started by smokeNcanuck, January 21, 2010, 04:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

If you over smoke it, it really only going to ruin the bark.

If you like your smoke strong, go for it.

I would say that 4 hours of mesquite is about 40% more "smokey tasting" than Hickory.

If that sounds good to you proceed.

Thought - "you can't un-smoke it" - maybe 3 hours of mesquite.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Gizmo

I use this one only in the larger size.

The two holes where the liquid comes out will pass well ground spices mixed into the liquid.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: FLBentRider on January 22, 2010, 07:37:17 PM
If you over smoke it, it really only going to ruin the bark.

If you like your smoke strong, go for it.

I would say that 4 hours of mesquite is about 40% more "smokey tasting" than Hickory.

If that sounds good to you proceed.

Thought - "you can't un-smoke it" - maybe 3 hours of mesquite.

FLB has good advice. Hickory is very good, but oaks not bad either!
HawkeyeSmokes

smokeNcanuck

I would have to agree..If it looks that good now I can't hardly wait till it's done.
Hopefully it turns out, so far so good.  Think I'll make up some of that Vaunted Vinegar Sauce to go along with it.
Thanks for your thoughts,  I'll make it a game time decision.  Should mix it up a bit as I am new so I can find out what I like and what I
don't like.  I would hate to ruin such a good look'n piece of meat.  Good point you can't un-smoke it, proceed with caution young skywalker!

Hal, if Sandra Bullock showed up at my door you better believe I am going to do what ever she tells me!! ;) ;)
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Gizmo on January 22, 2010, 07:40:08 PM
I use this one only in the larger size.

The two holes where the liquid comes out will pass well ground spices mixed into the liquid.

I use the Deluxe Cajun Injector. Works just like Gizmo said.

http://www.cajuninjector.com/images/products/large/injector-deluxe.jpg
HawkeyeSmokes

squirtthecat

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on January 22, 2010, 07:45:55 PM
I would have to agree..If it looks that good now I can't hardly wait till it's done.
Hopefully it turns out, so far so good.  Think I'll make up some of that Vaunted Vinegar Sauce to go along with it.
Thanks for your thoughts,  I'll make it a game time decision.  Should mix it up a bit as I am new so I can find out what I like and what I
don't like.  I would hate to ruin such a good look'n piece of meat.  Good point you can't un-smoke it, proceed with caution young skywalker!

Hal, if Sandra Bullock showed up at my door you better believe I am going to do what ever she tells me!! ;) ;)

Good plan.   Go with half the smoke you think you want, and adjust next time..

I'm a Apple/Pecan mix fan myself.

smokeNcanuck

Squirt, I really want to get my hands on some apple and pecan.  I might just have to go on a hunt tomorrow, It'll give me something to do
instead of just sitting around waiting to start the butt.  Again thanks for the shout out,  I'll post some more pics tomorrow and update my
progress.  I am planning on having it for supper on Sun. so I am going to be giving my self lots of lead time as this is my first go with a butt.

hal4uk

Quote from: smokeNcanuck on January 22, 2010, 07:45:55 PM

Perhaps, it is impertinent to speculate regarding the particular post-mesquite-delivery case where she lingers around the manor and issues directives.
However...
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

classicrockgriller

I know, wave a burning matchstick over it and cook it in the oven!

smokeNcanuck

Ok well things got kinda outtta control yesterday, meet up with a friend started drinking round 3:00 ish.  So by the time 6 rolled around I had had a few......
however I managed to get home long enough to pop the butt in the smoker(with 3hrs of mesq.)  When I returned home a "few" hrs later at a time to be determined at a latter date
I changed the water in bowl and headed to bed, thought I set temp alarm on maverick?????  Anyway temp must have been running a little warm, when I managed to pry the eyes open
9:00ish the cabin temp was around 230 and meat was 195.....holly s**t it's done was my first thought.  Can't wait for auber was second thought.  It worked out to around 15hrs but, I unfortunately for next time don't have real good record of times and temps, oh well it looks good(better than me!). It's FTC right now for a few hrs so maybe pulled pork for lunch instead of supper.

smokeitall

That looks great.  15 hours sounds a lot better than my last time of 26 hours.
Let us know how it tastes.
SIA

Up In Smoke

At 195 IT, that roast should be an easy pull.
Looks great, i will pm my address so you can send a sample......
3 lbs should be enough  ;D
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

smokeNcanuck

well it's been pulled and eaten! ;D ;D that just sounds sooo not right!
Can not lie was the BEST pork I have ever had. Vaunted vinegar sauce was a home run that stuff is the s##t!
Three for three, I love this stuff!

UIS IDK if it would make it through the mail, some mail man would wolf it down before it ever made it to ya ha,ha  ;)

classicrockgriller

sNc, The Bradley is so easy, even under the influences of adult beverages!

Great job!

smokeNcanuck

Quote from: classicrockgriller on January 24, 2010, 03:36:32 PM
sNc, The Bradley is so easy, even under the influences of adult beverages!

Great job!

Ya but don't tell too many people, we want them thinking we have done all this hard work!