Another new guy looking for advice..

Started by chadder44, January 23, 2010, 09:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadder44

Hi everyone, I'm Chad. I've been researching buying a smoker for the last couple weeks, partly due to my local favorite rib joint just not being up to par lately, but mainly because I spend way too much on buying BBQ ribs at restaurants. Ribs are hands down my favorite food, and it's not even close. I travel the country playing slow pitch softball and I make sure to check out every local rib joint in every town I go to.  So far my favorite place is Red Hot and Blue. I know it's a chain, but man they have great ribs every time. The "OBS" was the first one I decided on, but upon reading reviews I've noticed that in cold temps (I'm in upstate NY) people are having a difficult time getting the electric smokers up to 220. I have some stores withing a 2 minute drive selling vertical gas smokers, but this bradley seems to be higher quality and has great customer service. I can order the bradley online from amazon and get it this coming week, but its supposed to be 37 degrees today and tomorrow, and its going back under 20 starting monday. I'm having a craving for ribs and it seems like a good weekend for it. I've also read on here that most everyone gets a maverick thermometer, which I cannot find anywhere locally. So now I have a dilema. Should I go buy the bradley today, and smoke ribs this weekend without the maverick? Should I wait and order everything online and be better prepared for smoking? Am I wasting my time with an electric smoker, because upstate NY is too cold? Thanks everyone!

smokeNcanuck

Hey Chad, Welcome.  First I am defiantly no expert as you can see from my newbie status, but hear are my.02 worth.
I gust received my OBS for Christmas and will only be doing my third smoke later to day.  As I only received my ET-73 this week the first two were done with a cheap digital thermo.
It worked just fine, It was a meat probe type so I could monitor the IT of the meat.  I just trusted the thermo on OBS for cabin temp , which was pretty close after checking it with the cheap thermo.  As you could guess I live in Canada, Ontario to be exact and the outdoor temps are not exactly warm right now.  My firs run it was -17C outside but OBS was in my garage(not heated though) I did a brisket and had it running around 225F the whole time.  But keep in mind that in that cold it took a while to get their and every time you open the door you loose a lot of heat.  I put a brick wrapped in foil, on the advise of the fine people hear to act as a heat sink.  I think I might put in another one.  My next smoke was done outside and I was smoking side ribs(meat-pics posted in rib trimming).  That day the temp hovered around -2C, I did have some trouble getting the OBS up to temp as you can see in post, but it did eventually hit 225F mind you it was near the end of my cook.  I (and the wife) thought the ribs turned out great, I just extended the cooking times(thanks 10.5) adjusting for the lower cabin temp.  Today it is about 2C and I am going to do a butt, OSb will be in garage again as it will be cooking all night and with it in the garage it will be less of a worry for me.  Sorry for the long reply.  If you look around some people are adding an extra element to compensate for the cooler temps, I am thinking I will be doing this as soon as I get my Auber.  There is great instructions from a senior member detailing this Mod on the recipe site.  I am so happy with my Bradley I would not part with it for anything.  The customer service is excellent and this forum ROCKES!!  Lots of great help for us rookies so you don't ever have to smoke alone :D :D

Hope this help ya out a little and good luck!!
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum chadder44!

I don't have any personal experience with hot smoking in those low temps, when it gets that low around here - I smoke cheese.

My understanding is that it will get to temp, it just takes longer.

We have Bradley owners in Alaska, Canada, etc...

Some have added an additional heating element to help.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

oakrdrzfan

I am new to my Bradley as well, my 8th smoke is happening right now!

I live in SLC, UT and it is cold here.  I have done ribs twice using the 10.5 recipe.  The first time, I did them all in the Bradley and they were done in 6 hours.  The second time, I smoked them for 3 hours and then transferred them to a 225 F oven to finish them.  Both ways were great. 

My advice if the box is slow to get up to temp is to smoke for 3 hours and then finish in the oven.  I bought rigid insulation and have cut it to form fit my box.  Help with wind and cold.

KevinG

Welcome Chad - The ET-73 is great for if you need to stay away from the smoker, but a regular meat thermometer will work just fine. If you get an instant read, you may have to increase your cook time a little due to opening and closing the door. There is a way to help minimize this and that's to put a couple of tin foil wrapped bricks on the bottom to help retain the heat. Good Luck!
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

chadder44

ok thanks guys. I'll probably just go buy the thing today then. so you think i will be ok just going by the bradley temperature guage on the door for now?

KevinG

That should be fine to monitor the cabinet temp, but I'm not sure if it pulls out so you can check the meat temp (I don't have that model). But if it doesn't you can pick up an instant read at a local grocery store for a couple of bucks.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

squirtthecat

You should be able to find a thermometer with a wired probe (doesn't have to be a fancy remote) for 20 bucks or so..   That will cut down on opening the door to check the temps.

Oneida makes one that works good.  Looks like this:

JT-MO

You should be ok in the cold weather. Just try not to keep peaking inside and lowering your box temp down. That is why most here would recommend some sort of external meat probe so you can know what the meat IT is without having to open the door.

classicrockgriller

A larger pan of water will also help in heat retention & recovery.

NePaSmoKer

Welcome chadder

I live in the lower Poconos. Its gets cold here too, sometimes like 9* I use my Bradleys year round and have no problems.  Mine are in the garage and i can get and maintain temps to 225*

Whichever model Bradley you get you wont be disappointed.

chadder44

ok I just got home, and I got my new OBS. I bought a couple racks of baby backs and some country style ribs too. Do I need to dry rub them? Or should i just smoke for three hours, then foil em in apple juice for 2, then 1 hour with the sauce? Is it necessary for me to buy a meat thermometer this time? I am going to order the et-73, but I thought I could try and wing it this time. Is that a bad idea?

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: chadder44 on January 23, 2010, 04:22:47 PM
ok I just got home, and I got my new OBS. I bought a couple racks of baby backs and some country style ribs too. Do I need to dry rub them? Or should i just smoke for three hours, then foil em in apple juice for 2, then 1 hour with the sauce? Is it necessary for me to buy a meat thermometer this time? I am going to order the et-73, but I thought I could try and wing it this time. Is that a bad idea?

Chadder

Season your smoker first before you do any meat.

Put in all racks, pans and put the heat on hich with no less than 6 wood pucks. Then your ready to go.

HawkeyeSmokes

I like to use a rub, but even simple salt and pepper works.

You can do ribs without a meat thermometer. Just watch for the meat to pull back from the ends of the bone about 1/2"

HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Actually the meat thermometer isn't all that useful for ribs - there really isn't any place to put it.  Just go by the meat pulling back from the bone.

BTW, I have the same Oneida thermometer that squirt referenced.  Works well.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.