Another new guy looking for advice..

Started by chadder44, January 23, 2010, 09:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habanero Smoker

Hi  Chad;

Welcome to the forum. I'm a fellow New Yorker.

I find that the cabinet thermometer will generally read lower then the actual temperature, and that also depends on the amount of meat in the smoker. I did many smokes before learning about the Maverick ET-73, and always had good results. The amount you are planning to smoke, should not effect the cabinet thermometer that much.

These links may be of some use for you:
Bradley Smoker FAQ's
Recipes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

chadder44

ok I guys I have 3 racks of baby backs, and a bunch of country style spare ribs. Total weight is about 13 pounds. Am I still good to do the 3-2-1 deal? Should I put em in the smoker for a while before starting the smoke?

MPTubbs

Quote from: chadder44 on January 24, 2010, 04:27:53 AM
ok I guys I have 3 racks of baby backs, and a bunch of country style spare ribs. Total weight is about 13 pounds. Am I still good to do the 3-2-1 deal? Should I put em in the smoker for a while before starting the smoke?

This is what I do....start the smoke right when I load the meat.

When I get to the "2" after foiling I rotate racks...front to back and up and down.

When I get to the "1" I look at the meat pulling away from the bones. (rib ends) and see if it's starting to pull back.  If not go back to the "2" stage and cook for alittle longer...about an hour and check again.

When it's time for the "1" stage I rotate again.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

chadder44

im assuming you dont need water in the dish during the "2" foil stage correct?

ArnieM

I think the technique MPTubbs uses is a good one.  Again, we go by how the meat is pulling back from the bone rather than internal temp.

As far as the water bowl goes, I guess you can take it out.  No more pucks going in.  But, why bother?
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

chadder44

ok guys, thanks for all your help. I was only able to get the smoker up to about 175 degrees according to the bradley dial. I ended up smoking them at 175 for 3 hours, then foil for 2 hrs with apple juice in my gas oven, and then one hour back in the smoker, but in my garage.  They came out pretty good, but not unbelievable. To be honest they tasted exactly how I make them when I boil the ribs for a couple hours before grilling. I used hickory wood, and I could taste it, but not as much as I want. The consistancy of the ribs, although they fell off the bone, was not the same as the great smoked ribs ive had at restaurants. I may have just purchased cheap ribs, but to me they weren't as dense as they should be. It's hard to describe, I'm really new at this. I think I just need to use the rub next time, and maybe smoker for a litle bit longer. I'm also going to get the bricks to keep in the smoker as well. But I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for helping me.

Caneyscud

Need a bit more information.

What was the ambient weather conditions?  Wind and cold play havoc with a cook!

175 on Bradley thermo - did you confirm that with another thermometer?  That is a very odd temperature.

Did you have the vent closed?  That can cause the temperature to dip

Was the door opened much during the smoke?

Did you preheat?

Was the water cold or hot?  If you did not preheat and put in cold water at the same time as the meat, it will take quite a while to get the heat up.

Did you rub and sauce?

When you foiled you added apple juice.  I find I lose smoke flavor with the foiling and AJ.  

Three hours of hickory should give you a pronounced smoke flavor, but if not, add more smoke time.  Or change to mesquite - a more strongly flavored wood.  

Did you precook the ribs in any way before the smoke?  It is said that if the meat fibers get "done" before application of smoke, the smoke has a hard time penetrating and will just lay on the surface, where it can be washed away.  

Are you using an extension cord?

The circuit you have it plugged in to, is it heavily loaded?
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

chadder44

Quote from: Caneyscud on January 25, 2010, 11:22:47 AM
Need a bit more information.

What was the ambient weather conditions?  Wind and cold play havoc with a cook!
It was about 40 degrees and slight breeze.

175 on Bradley thermo - did you confirm that with another thermometer?  That is a very odd temperature.
I dont have another thermometer yet, but I will be getting one.

Did you have the vent closed?  That can cause the temperature to dip
I had the vent about 40% open.

Was the door opened much during the smoke?
I never opened the door once.

Did you preheat?
Yes I preheated to 250 degrees

Was the water cold or hot?  If you did not preheat and put in cold water at the same time as the meat, it will take quite a while to get the heat up.
The water was very hot.

Did you rub and sauce?
I did not rub, but I put sauce on during the last hour.

Did you precook the ribs in any way before the smoke?  It is said that if the meat fibers get "done" before application of smoke, the smoke has a hard time penetrating and will just lay on the surface, where it can be washed away.  
I did not preheat at all.

Are you using an extension cord?
yes, I basicallly dont have a choice. All the plugs in my garage are up on the wall too high.

The circuit you have it plugged in to, is it heavily loaded?
No

JT-MO

It is like art chadder, just keep notes and keep experimenting and you will find what you like the best. Everyone does it different and has a different taste they are looking for.

If I were you I would try to rub route next time. Slather it in mustard and some rub, open the vent all the way, make sure temp is actually up over 200, and have a go at it.
I did ribs a couple weeks back and while they were very close to what I love, I took them out a little to soon. Lesson learned there, next time I will wait a little longer for the meat to pull back then I should be good :)

I wished my wife liked BBQ as much as I do so I could use the OBS a little more  ;D!

MPTubbs

Quote from: chadder44 on January 24, 2010, 07:53:11 AM
im assuming you dont need water in the dish during the "2" foil stage correct?

I would have the dish in all the time to at least catch the drippings.

You want the bark/burnt ends on your meat....not the bottom of the Ol' Bradley! 

;)
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

chadder44

ok thanks guys. I am going to try this again tomorrow, but this time with spare ribs instead of babyback. The spare ribs that I bought have the rib tip still on, so should I cook them too after I cut them off? I do want to put the rub on them this time, but I dont really want anything too drastic in taste. Also, I noticed that most of my favorite ribs seem to have the "glaze" quality about them, where as my red bbq sauce seems so dark and dull after its cooked on. Is that a problem?

Its really cold in NY right now, so Im guessing that I will cook them in my garage to get the temp hot.

ArnieM

Quote from: chadder44 on January 29, 2010, 10:45:12 AM
ok thanks guys. I am going to try this again tomorrow, but this time with spare ribs instead of babyback. The spare ribs that I bought have the rib tip still on, so should I cook them too after I cut them off? I do want to put the rub on them this time, but I dont really want anything too drastic in taste. Also, I noticed that most of my favorite ribs seem to have the "glaze" quality about them, where as my red bbq sauce seems so dark and dull after its cooked on. Is that a problem?

I prefer spare ribs over BB's.  More meat on 'em.  From what I've seen on TV BBQ competitions, they also use spare ribs.  Maybe one of the people in competition can chime in here.

There are a number of rubs at susanminor.org.  Check 'em out.

The sauce turns dark due to the sugar caramelizing.  You can try making your own and going lighter on the sugar.  Again, check out the link above.

Its really cold in NY right now, so Im guessing that I will cook them in my garage to get the temp hot.

I think we hit a high of 21oF here in CT today with wind gusting to 30 MPH.  Not a good day for smoking  >:(

Good luck with your ribs.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

OU812

If your sauce is turnin dark try puttin it on later in the cook, like 30 min before you pull them out.

chadder44

well guys I gotta say, I changed a couple things and it made a huge difference. I put the smoker in the garage and duct taped a vent to the top and hung it out a window.  I put a brick wrapped in foil inside and I was able to get over 200 degrees even though it was only 5 degrees outside all day.  I also bought spare ribs and put on a dry rub overnight. The ribs came out amazing. Absoultely right on par with the best ribs i've ever had. Thanks everyone for all your help. I honestly dont need to make ribs any better than what I just did, I am completely content. 

KyNola

Way to go C44.  I prefer spare ribs to baby backs.  More meat and more fat.

Well done my friend.

KyNola