Another new guy looking for advice..

Started by chadder44, January 23, 2010, 09:39:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MPTubbs

Good job chadder!

Remember to keep notes on all your smokes.

Soon you'll be a pro with that new toy of yours.   ;D

Keep the vent open and the smoke roll'n!

Mike.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

ArnieM

Good goin' chaddar.  A little experimentation and 'poof' you got it.

As MPT said, keep notes, especially at first.  After a while you likely won't need 'em except maybe for rub and sauce recipes you particularly liked.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

chadder44

I think I'm going to try pulled pork for super bowl sunday. Is there anything specific I should know going in?

ArnieM

chadder, this is just my own opinion.

The length of cooking time will depend on temp, size and how ornery the critter was.  Therefore, I'd cook ahead.  This is a possible scenario.

Put it in around 6PM Friday.  Apply 4 hours or so of your favorite smoke (I'd use hickory, but that's just me).  It should be done Saturday, hopefully between 9AM and noon.  Here you have a cushion to cook longer if need be.

Let it rest for at least an hour.  Remove the bark, chop and set aside.  Pull the pork.  Mix the chopped bark in with the pork.  Add some Q sauce if you like.  Bag it and fridge it.

The bark has most of the smoke.  Mixing it up and letting it rest for a while lets the smoke flavor permeate the meat.

Put the bags of pork in hot or boiling water when you're about ready to eat.  Add more Q sauce if desired.

In addition to better flavor, you won't have to be running around cooking and pulling during the game.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

chadder44

ok that sounds like a good plan. When you say "remove the bark", what does that mean, and how do I do that?

FLBentRider

The "bark" is the blackend outside of the butt.

Where the rub meets the smoke.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

chadder44

well something didnt go right because my pork shoulder has been cooking for 8 hours and I never developed a bark. I must not have used enough rub. Should I just start over with a new shoulder and more rub? I am almost out of bisquettes so unless I can find some locally I think I am out of luck.

FLBentRider

I hope you haven't been applying smoke for eight hours... most only put 4 hours smoke on a butt. 'cept for CRG.

give it time. you should have bark.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

chadder44

nope I only applied smoke for 4, but I'm new to the rub thing and I wasnt very liberal when applying it. I basically just lightly covered the whole shoulder, and spread it around with my hands.

classicrockgriller

The bark will come like FBR said thru the continuous heat that is being applied.

You have a ways to go, be patient.

Remember you will have a stall in the temp at between 150 to 170 that may last several hours.

Just be patient.

FLBentRider

Quote from: chadder44 on February 06, 2010, 05:21:36 AM
nope I only applied smoke for 4, but I'm new to the rub thing and I wasnt very liberal when applying it. I basically just lightly covered the whole shoulder, and spread it around with my hands.

I pack the rub on as thick as I can get it.

but even the brisket with just salt and pepper gets a nice bark after 14-16 hours or so.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

chadder44

pulled pork came out amazing. thanks guys. I'm doing st louis ribs again tomorrow, what should I be doing with the rib tips that I cut off? Do they cook the same way as the ribs?

FLBentRider

Quote from: chadder44 on February 20, 2010, 08:48:20 AM
pulled pork came out amazing. thanks guys. I'm doing st louis ribs again tomorrow, what should I be doing with the rib tips that I cut off? Do they cook the same way as the ribs?

Yes, more or less. They will probably be done a little earlier.

MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!