maverick ET-73 probe error

Started by leftcoast smoker, January 24, 2010, 09:56:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leftcoast smoker

Funny Story, (wasn't at the time)
just last week I replaced my old single probe wireless maverick with a new dual probe, so I got busy today making up some snack sticks and was sitting on the couch watching the tube with the receiver sitting on the coffee table and I happened to glance over and the tower temp was at 350*, so I leap to my feet thinking holy S@$t my DBS was ablaze cause I know just a minute or two ago it was sitting nicely at 165, as I jump up I scare the daylights out of the chocolate Lab laying at my feet and we both end up in a pile on the floor, now the wife is laughing her head off as I'm trying to pick myself up off the floor to run outside and putout the fire, finally I get out there everthing looks normal I feel the cabinet feels good so cautiously open the door and what do I see, 10lbs of awesome looking pepperoni, turns out the tower probe went south, as a matter of fact its laying on my kitchen counter right now stone cold and reading 250* so I'm thinking I'll just hook up the single and let it hang to read the tower temp, once I started looking the probe ends and realized they are all the same I took the meat probe from the single and plugged it into the tower side of the dual and it reads perfectly, so I guess tomorrow I'll be heading back to the store for a replacement unit. looking back now I can laugh but boy I didn't think it was too funny at the time.

classicrockgriller

Wish you would have gotten a video of that! ROFL

Was a pretty good description though.

Still Rofl.

Is the dog allright?

leftcoast smoker

nope she's alright, typical lab though always takes things to heart, she steered clear of me for an hour or so.

KevinG

Yea those probes are a pain. I'm not sure if you washed them, but that's usually what happens if they get wet.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

leftcoast smoker

yes they do all I ever do is wipe them down if there is something stuck on them I'll hit it with a little scotch brite pad, but I have never submerged them, although it did seem to get quite a build up of moisture this time inside the cabinet during the drying, vent was wide open but the dbs was stuffed with 10lbs of sticks hanging in there maybe a little overloaded? a little extra moisture, maybe caused the probe to crap out? oh well got another new one now seems to work fine.

classicrockgriller

I started wiping mine down right after I use them with an achol based anti-bacterial wipe.

The alcohol evaps quick and haven't had any problem yet.

OU812

Funny story lefty, well now it is anyway.

I wipe my probes down like CRG after each smoke then lay the probe flat so the wire is hanging down ready for next time.