1 1/4" chops.

Started by MPTubbs, January 25, 2010, 11:11:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLBentRider

Quote from: Pachanga on January 29, 2010, 07:56:56 AM
I agree with OU.

There is a tremendous amount of difference in Paprika.  I quit carrying paprika in my spice cabinet because I couldn't figure out what all the fuss was about.  It added no flavor and was more of a coloring agent.  Then I found real paprika and now have several varieties.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

I kinda feel the same way, still using the generic stuff. What do you use now ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

MPTubbs

I'm on my way to the spice shop now.

Go'n to get spanish and smoked paprica for sure and some white pepper.

Then it's to the Tattoo shop for more ink!

Need to finish my back up.   ;D
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

OU812

Tubbs

Penzeys has an opened jar sittin next to each of there spices so you can smell and taste them before you buy them.

FLB

I use Hungarian Sweet if I just want a rich paprika flavor and the Hungarin Half Sharp if you want some bite. The Californian Sweet has a mild flavor. The smoked is like the half sharp with a nice smoked background.

I use them all, not at the same time, just depends what I'm lookin for at the time I'm makin stuff.

Pachanga

FLBentRider,

OU has been in my spice cabinet.

Hungarian sweet (PAPA brand is what I have now), Hungarian Hot (SZEGED Brand) and a smoked paprika that I just finished and threw the can away.  The sweet is at my local grocery (Kroger, Albertsons) but the hot was purchased in Chicago at some out of the way spice store by my son.  He had a hard time finding it.

Hungarian seems to always be the best.

I just tasted the hot to try and describe it.  All I can come up with is unique and delicious, very different from another spice.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

OU812

Right on Pachanga

Once you get some good paprika you wont go back to that bland store bought crap.

squirtthecat

Quotebut the hot was purchased in Chicago at some out of the way spice store by my son.

If you could find out where he got it, I would be interested to know..
I like to find 'out of the way' places when we visit Chicago.   As long as I don't have to worry about needing body armor.    :o

I saw some of the SZEGED spices while on vacation in Williamsburg, VA.  But they wanted tourist $$$ for them.  I'd rather pick it up at a 'mom and pop' type place.

I really need to get to Penzeys in St Louis.  Next time the Mrs is shopping, I'll 'disappear' for an hour or two.

Pachanga

Squirt,

I'll quiz him.

Pachanga

MPTubbs

Got my spices!

Penzeys ROCKS.....what a store!

OU the lady behind the counter remembers you...she told me you smoke alot! lol

OU812

Yep smoke is rollin at my house all the time.

Do allot of smokes in my sleep, really I have things smokin when I'm sleepin all the time. Did some peanuts last night.

I get all my spices at Penzeys. Aint it great how they let you smell and taste what you are lookin for?

MPTubbs

Quote from: OU812 on January 29, 2010, 12:46:38 PM
Yep smoke is rollin at my house all the time.

Do allot of smokes in my sleep, really I have things smokin when I'm sleepin all the time. Did some peanuts last night.

I get all my spices at Penzeys. Aint it great how they let you smell and taste what you are lookin for?

Yes it is buddy!

They have spices I never heard of before.

OU812

Heck if your in a hurry give them a call and tell them what you need and they will have it waitin for ya when you get there.

MPTubbs

This weekend smoke.
Some thick little piggies!

Letting them bathe in Italian dressing over night.

In the morning I'll rub em with some Oinker Rub and let rest for a couple of hours before the Pecan smoke out.

I think I should pull them out at about 145* IT.....do you all think that's about right?

Tiny Tim

Yep, them looks like Iowa Chops.  You gonna have some good eats there.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Tiny Tim on January 29, 2010, 06:19:25 PM
Yep, them looks like Iowa Chops.  You gonna have some good eats there.
Tim them chops is normal chops for us!! Anything under 3/4 inch is considered a breakfast chop around here. They should be good eats for you though MPTubbs
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Quote from: MPTubbs on January 29, 2010, 05:42:31 PM
I think I should pull them out at about 145* IT.....do you all think that's about right?

Yes - I do 142-145F
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!