Smoking Summer Sausage

Started by Davsmoke, January 27, 2010, 11:08:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Davsmoke

I have just purchased the Bradley Digital Smoker. I have completed stuffing the sausages with my mix and curing agent. The casings are fiberglass. I would like to smoke the sausages and hang them for four weeks. Should I cold smoke or hot smoke? What temperature and how long?

RAF128

Fibre Glass casings?   Hot smoke.   I'd start at 130 for an hour to dry them, then up the the temp to 200 with smoke.   Bring them up to an IT of 152*F.    I'm not sure how long it'll take as it's been a long time since I've done some...

smokeNcanuck

Davsmoke welcome aboard!!

Sorry I have no experience with summer sausage or any sausage for that matter.  I am still pretty new
and have not got in to the sausage making just yet! Hang tight there are some mighty fine sausage experts on this forum and I'm sure someone will be along to help.  

I can say make sure you season your BDS before you put your SS in, and keep the vent open at least 1/4.

fiberglass?? ;) ;)

sNc

C before I could finish typing.....
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

Tenpoint5

OK Fiberglass?? I am hoping you ment to type Fibrous. Most Summer sausage is hot smoked to an internal of 152* Then put in an ice water bath to stop the cooking and bring the IT down to 100*. Then you should be able to hang for up to 4 hours to bloom or develope color then you can vac seal and freeze.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Welcome to the fun Davesmoke

I sure hope you ment fibrous casings.

What type of sausage are you trying to make?

NePaSmoKer

Welcome Davesmoke

Like others have stated 152* is the IT of the summer sausage. However don't hang it for 4 weeks. Summer sausage is a process that can take from 6 hours to 20 (depending on how many pounds in your smoker) outside temps, wind.  SS uses cure #1. To have a long hang time you need cure #2.

dbondy

Mmmmm fiberglass casings. ;D

Just kidding, first of all WELCOME to the forum davsmoke. I think 10.5 and NEPAS have you covered. These guys and gals here are great and have a tone of knowlage. They sure helped me out with my first run at summer sausage and other projects I have done. If you have any questions just ask, and I hope you stick around for a while to enjoy the forum and fun that goes on here. Oh I almost forgot we also like lots of pics. ;D ;D ;D.

OU812

With the 4 week hang time I think he is trying to make a fermented sausage.

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Davsmoke!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!