Auber Dual Probe Question

Started by Canuck, January 27, 2010, 01:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Canuck

What is the maximum temp you can set the PID at??

The manual indicates 383  (or there abouts) but I can only adjust up to 284.  High enough for smoking but I thought it would go higher for some other uses based on the instructions??

Thanks

leftcoast smoker

mine too, it max's out at 284*f but I'm guessing you can probably adjust that somewhere in the parameters, just got mine today so I have not had a chance to try it out-still reading

Toker

Here is a copy of the email i just received about it:

We just found that this is a bug for the software. It can only set to 284F. Here is the options to resolve the problem.
1) send the controller back, we will replace the microprocessor chip for you once we get the bug fixed.
2) we can mail you a new chip if you are familiar with electronics work.  The chip has 40 pin installed in a socket.. We can provide instruction on how to open the case. There is no soldering, but mounting a 40 pin chip need a little experience. We will need about 15 days to get the bug fixed and chip burned.
3) You can change the temperature display setting to Celsius, it will allow you to set to 284C. Since Celsius is official temperature unit, this solution might be fine for users in Canada.
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Suyi

Canuck

Talked with them yesterday and got the same answer as your e-mail.  The celcius trick works fine and I'll get a new chip to change it once they are available.

Kevin

Toker

Me i will wait the 15 days mark and i will send it back to them at the same time than changing the chip he will add a relay for my smoke generator. ;D

Canuck

What will the relay for the smoke generator allow you to do, this may be a better option for me as well??

Toker

Don't know exactly yet, there are many way to do it he said. Don't know what he mean by that im waiting news from him but 1 thing sure it will automaticly shut my smoke gen cause i have an obs not a dbs. But it will be some extra charge$ about 13$ for it.

xcrider

Quote from: Canuck on January 28, 2010, 02:23:17 PM
What will the relay for the smoke generator allow you to do, this may be a better option for me as well??

There are 2 relay's that "close" a switch.  R1 and R2 and programable for 1-6 steps.

If your smoking sausage at 150F and you don't smoke for the 1st hour but in hours 2-5 you need to run smoke and then turn the smoke off before turning up the heat to 190F.  You can program the PID at step 1 to run for 1hour at 150, step 2 pull in relay R1, temp is still 150F at 4 hours.  Step 3 starts (after the 5 hour total time so far) with R1 turning off but now the temp is increased to 190F for whatever time you want in that step.  With the dual probe PID step 3 could be run until the 2nd probe (in the meat) hits 156F at which time it switches to step 4.  You program step 4 to drop the temp back down to a lower temp say 140F.

I took an extension cord opened up the center of the cord and cut the hot wire.  Connected one wire of the relay (R1) to the plug side the other relay wire (R1) to the socket side.  I plug the modified relay controlled extension cord into my outlet strip and plug in my smoke generator into this modified cord.  

I made a "Y" adaptor to tie R1 and R2 outputs together incase I needed to keep the smoke on after increasing the temp.  That way when step 3 starts (taking temp to 190F) R2 now completes the power to the smoke generator.  Just need to remeber that you can only use R1 or R2 in one of the steps.  Once that step is done, it open the relay.

Not sure if this make any sense or helps but it should hopefully get you thinking in the right direction.  Suyi was very helpful in helping me understand this.

Toker

I just received my modified pid today with the relays installed but how do i plug it? Sorry should not be difficult to understand but i don't. It has a Y cable with one end an normal electric end OK but on the other there is a white plastic connector so that's why I'm asking I've never connected anything like it before. The electric end goes into the smoke generator but what about the plastic end? I know it should be attached to the pid plastic end but on the pid, i have 2 plastics ends witch one to choose from? The one with a red wire or the one with a white wire? Sorry to ask but it is my 1st experience with a relay thing.

Toker

OK, i found out. The red wire is for relay 1 and the white is for relay 2 i know everything that i was looking for now.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: toker on February 19, 2010, 05:22:35 PM
OK, i found out. The red wire is for relay 1 and the white is for relay 2 i know everything that i was looking for now.

I knew you would figure it out! ;D

Toker

Hey Mr CRG i wanted to ask you a question pls if you don't mind answer it. Supposed that i have more than one butts in my Bradley i set it IT 195F OK but if the 2ND has not reached the 195F mark how do i make sure it does not shut the element? I never set the keep warm feature that is why I'M asking you. THX

classicrockgriller

Quote from: toker on February 19, 2010, 05:42:30 PM
Hey Mr CRG i wanted to ask you a question pls if you don't mind answer it. Supposed that i have more than one butts in my Bradley i set it IT 195F OK but if the 2ND has not reached the 195F mark how do i make sure it does not shut the element? I never set the keep warm feature that is why I'M asking you. THX

toker I kinda ran into the same problem and what I did was:

I had two butts on two differnt racks.

I had the IT probe in the bottom butt with the IT feature set on the Auber.

I took my maverick like we had discussed and monitored the progress.

I set the alarm on the Maverick at 180*.

I them manually probe both Butts and rotated the racks to move the lowest IT butt to the bottom rack.

Then moved the Auber probe to the bottom butt.

Reset the Maverick to 200* (which is where I had the Auder shut off at) and let them cook.

Toker

OK i think i will have to babysit it for the last 1 or 2 degrees of the bottom rack to change it before it reach the final degree if i understood what you said. This way, it wont shut off before i change the probe from a butt to the other. I think i understood. Also i think i will buy an other thermometer like the et-7 for monitoring more food.

classicrockgriller

toker, OU812 takes an extra food probe and puts it in the place of his temp probe on a 73 and monitors two meats with that.