Deer Bologna

Started by OU812, January 27, 2010, 04:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mow_delon

Hey OU, am thinking of using this recipe, but due to the ease of getting Morton Tenderquick compared to Instacure was thinking about using MTQ insted.  Do you think that it would change the flavor much (or drown the flavor with salt)?

OU812

mow_delon

For MTQ to work properly you need 1 Tab per lb and that would be 10 Tab of MTQ in the mix. I think that even if you take all the salt and the cure out of the mix and replace it with MTQ you would end up with an overly salty product.

Then you have the sugar to think about, MTQ has sugar in it also.

You can get cure #1 at many places on the net. its very inexpensive and if your thinkin about makin sausage more often I say get the cure. It will store for a long time, just keep it sealed and out of direct light.

mow_delon

I actually make a lot of sausage, but use Mortons all the time because the local grocery store doesn't carry the other cures.  I am gonna go to the locker today to try and pick some up, though.

NePaSmoKer

Ditto on what OU said.

get cure 1

IMHO MTQ Sux for sausage making

OU812

NePaSmoKer

Habanero Smoker

For sausage Morton recipes are now written that you add 1/2 tablespoon (1 1/2 teaspoons) per pound.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

OU812

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 05, 2010, 01:44:45 PM
For sausage Morton recipes are now written that you add 1/2 tablespoon (1 1/2 teaspoons) per pound.

Good to know. Thanks

When did they change that?

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: OU812 on February 05, 2010, 01:50:32 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 05, 2010, 01:44:45 PM

Good to know. Thanks

When did they change that?

I'm not sure, but if you check their recipe site and look under cure recipes, you will see that is what they use. I purchased their updated "Home Meat Curing Guide," and that was published in August, 2005 and they use 1/2 tablespoons per pound. I have a pdf version of the old guide on my computer and I believe the old guide used 1 tablespoon per pound. I have to see if I can locate that on my disk.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

OU812

I have the old guide also, any chance of gettin the new one?

Habanero Smoker

Allied Kenco sells it, but if you only want the guide it is cheaper to order it directly from Morton. It costs $4.99 plus $2.50 handling if you order less then 2, for more or if you purchase other products with the order they charge the handling plus shipping. It is a 32 page booklet which is interesting. I would only recommend it if you use Morton cures a lot.

Home Curing Guide

I
         don't
                   inhale.

OU812

I dont use Morton cures much any more, just nice to have the book to keep up with what they have to offer.

MRH

Got some 4" casing so I am going to give this a try this weekend.  I have some high temp cheddar or pepper jack cheese,  maybe I should add some of that in too what do you guys think?

Mark

OU812

I say go for it.

With that big of casin ramp your temp up slowly and with small temp increases so the outside dont cook faster than the inside.

MRH

So don't start at the 165 like the recipe says?

Mark