Deer Bologna

Started by OU812, January 27, 2010, 04:22:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OU812

I start at 130 for an hr then turn on the smoke and bump the temp up to 140 for 2 hr then bump the temp up to 150 for 2 hr then 160 for 2 hr then finish with a cabnet temp of 170 till the IT of the sausage hits 152 for at least 30 min.

Pull out of the smoker and drop in a cooler full of ice water and keep in the cooler till the IT drops to 100 then pull out of the water and hang at room temp for 2 hr before puttin in the fridge.

I like to let the sausage hang in the fridge 48 hr to let the flavors blend then slice and enjoy.

Good luck and let us know how things go for ya.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: OU812 on February 12, 2010, 09:29:13 AM
I start at 130 for an hr then turn on the smoke and bump the temp up to 140 for 2 hr then bump the temp up to 150 for 2 hr then 160 for 2 hr then finish with a cabnet temp of 170 till the IT of the sausage hits 152 for at least 30 min.

Pull out of the smoker and drop in a cooler full of ice water and keep in the cooler till the IT drops to 100 then pull out of the water and hang at room temp for 2 hr before puttin in the fridge.

I like to let the sausage hang in the fridge 48 hr to let the flavors blend then slice and enjoy.

Remember to remove the probe from the bologna before you put it in the ice water. Probes don't like water at all. Experience talking
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 12, 2010, 02:50:37 PM

Remember to remove the probe from the bologna before you put it in the ice water. Probes don't like water at all. Experience talking

Good point 10.5, very good point.

MRH

So do you mean to hold the IT at for 152 for 30 minutes or it takes around 30 minutes to reach 152?

Thanks,
Mark

Tenpoint5

Hold at 152 for 30 minutes or until it jumps to 153 is how I do it.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

OU812

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 14, 2010, 08:07:50 AM
Hold at 152 for 30 minutes or until it jumps to 153 is how I do it.

Exactly.

mow_delon

Just to let you all know...
I made a batch of spicy snack sticks this weekend (the recipe from the recipe site) and used MTQ insted of cure #1.  I left out the salt and used MTQ at the 1/2 Tbs per pound.  The sticks came out OK, but definately short on the salt (taste a little bland).  I also made a batch of "Greg's Spicy sticks" (from the recipe site) with MTQ at the same rate, left out all salt, but used the "optional" Accent it includes and these stick came out great!  Not salty at all, but not bland at all, either.

I know that I will never convert anyone to using MTQ in place of cure #1, but just wanted to let people know that if it is as hard to get for them as it is for me (I was in Lincoln, NE and called 2 different lockers, the specialty sausage store (can't remember the name) and two different grocery stores and no one had ever heard of it.  One locker said I could buy their sausage stick spice mix, but not just the cure), the 1/2 Tbs per lb works OK, and with a little messing around, i think it could work great.

Of course this is just my opinion  ;D ;D

OU812

Good to here you got the MTQ to work for you

and of corse every one is welcome to there own opinion.

Tiny Tim

Mow...try this place for the cure.  It's a place in Eastern Iowa that I've dealt with.  Shipping was reasonable too (I'm in Western Iowa).

http://stores.curleyssausagekitchen.com/StoreFront.bok

SnellySmokesEm

I'm going to have to stop reading these post.  I am not even a big fan of bologne but after seeing this I want to make my own! Great pics!  This new smoking addiction is going to get outta control.  I have now decided that a sausage stuffer and meat slicer are my next must have. 
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on February 16, 2010, 08:24:50 PM
I'm going to have to stop reading these post.  I am not even a big fan of bologne but after seeing this I want to make my own! Great pics!  This new smoking addiction is going to get outta control.  I have now decided that a sausage stuffer and meat slicer are my next must have. 

You are hooked!

Like KaNola said "reel him in boys, he's hooked"

OU812

Yep, I think hes hook, now go get that stuffer and show us how its done.

Tenpoint5

Well What Cha Waitin Fer?????