Corned Beef Brisket int.temp?

Started by oguard, April 07, 2005, 03:07:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oguard

Just wondering what the internal temp of a store bought corned beef brisket should be?Also wondering if I should put a rub on it.Thanks in advance[:)].

<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">KEEP ON SMOKIN</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>
<b><font face="Comic Sans MS">Mike</font id="Comic Sans MS"></b>

Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it
Catch it,Kill it,Smoke it.

Chez Bubba

Since the ones I have bought at my store are already "cooked", I only take them to about 120F. The only "rub" I used was the pickling spice packet that came with, designed for the boil. They've always been dang tasty![:p][^]

Your mileage may vary.[:D]

Kirk

http://www.chezbubba.com
Ya think next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non?" they would mind?
http://www.brianswish.com
Ya think if next time I check into a hotel & they ask "Smoking or Non", they would mind?

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

to be corned beef you have to boil it till tender , if you put a light smoke to it and cook it to 160 now you have pastrami. just did a load of brisket pastrammi on sat, the best you will ever had,

oguard

Well we will make some pastrami then[:p].Iwill maybe use 2-3hrs of maple.Thanks for the answers S.R. and Chez[:D]

Oldman

Hold the phone~~~! If you smoke it to turn it into  pastrami then I strongly suggest you do not boil it like a cornbeef. Bake it or finish cooking it in the Bradley. The correct why to tell if your corn beef or partrami is done is by using a serving fork.  (Two prong fork.) When you stick the fork into the meat and the meat no longer hangs on the fork your meat is done. It can slowly slide off and it will be easier to slice. If it does not stick at all then your meat is over done. So some where between it slowly sliding off and not stick to the folk at all is where you want to be.

Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Habanero Smoker

I've been thinking about doing pastrami for some time and just haven't gotten around to it. I've been checking out this site for starters http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/pastrami.html

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

nsxbill

Thanks for the information Hab!

Always wanted to try some Pastrami.  Love it!

Bill

<i>There is room on earth for all God's creatures....on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.</i>
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

thanks hab , i was going to post that link, i have use that recipe many times,its the best. if you get a hole brisket separate the point from the flat, then inject them both, havent tride a store bought yet, if you do try the only the last few steps of that recipe,

oguard

Olds let me clarify,I was going to do the brisket completely in the smoker.Is there an internal temp I want to reach or the is the fork trick the only way to tell? The oven instructions on the package say to cover meat with brown sugar 1/2 hour before done,maybe I should rub it down with the sugar before I put it in the smoker.

Oldman

oguard.

All I can share is when I was in the food industry I bet I've seen a couple hundred cornbeef and brisket cooked. I never saw a temp taken. It was always with the fork, and frankly when I cook a cornbeef this is how I tell when to pull it out. Ya for a person given taste this may vary a little but not by much at all.

In fact, hope you are ready for this, When I was running six places at the same time we would cook the corned beef in its packageing in boiling water. After a couple of hours or so we would use the fork to test for doneness. The bags these where packaged in are the same quality as those used in a vacuum sealer that is for boiling. The idea was and I still agree with it that if you boil the beef in its own juices with the spice packet the flavor is enhanced. Once it was done then a coloring of paprika was added to the top and it was shot under a very hot broiler to brown/ crisp it up!

Once you figure out the fork method you will have tender but sliceable cornbeef or pastrami. Let's face it this is the name of the game... Shreaded cornbeef or pastrami is not where you want to go!

EDIT I have never seen Brown sugar added. If you do please advise us so I can try it out if it works for you... Thanks! Then again I never done one in a smoker so you will be the lead on the brown sugar factor~~! [:D]
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

oguard

Thanks Olds[:)].Well I don't have a problem being the lead on this and I will post the outcome[:)]

ChefBill

Let me throw this in the corned beef cooking pot. I quit boiling corned beef and started cooking it in the oven in a "Reymolds Oven  Bag". A 3-5lb. brisket at 325ยบ takes about 3 hours to become fork tender. Cooking it this way it retains it's flavor. I have never checked the internal temp when it's finished. The next time I cook one this way I'll check the internal temp. This will give us a basis to work from.

What about smoking it first and then transfer to the bag in the oven, this would give you the best of both worlds. Smoke, flavor & moisture. This might work great.  ChefBill

ChefBill
If you can eat it, you can smoke it.
If you can eat it, Then You can smoke it

oguard

Well the corned beef was pretty tasty[:p][:p].It was a little chewy(over cooked or under cooked?)but the taste was great.I did the beef with 2 hrs of cherry smoke foiled it at 160f and let rest for 1/2hr.Before I put it in the smoker I covered with brown sugar.When I foiled it I drizzled 2 Tblsp of maple syrup and 1/4 cup of jamaican rum.ChefBill said he would find out the internal temp the next time he cooked one then we can go from there.All and all I think it was sucessfull experiment[:)].

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It was a little chewy(over cooked or under cooked?)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

IMO it is under cooked.

Olds

oguard

Thanks for your opinion Olds next time I will cook it a little longer.