Please advise. Would this technique/box work ?

Started by dannyd, January 29, 2010, 08:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dannyd

This is a quote from a website that i was looking at:

"There are again many different methods people use to dry biltong. We will address three of these methods specifically.

1. Using a home-made enclosed cabinet with screen mesh sides. The cabinet has metal rods that run across the width of the cabinet, and which are used to hang the biltong from (much the same as you would hang your clothes in a clothing closet). The screen mesh allows a breeze to pass through the biltong (using an oscillating fan, as we do, you can create this breeze). The fact that the cabinet is enclosed, keeps out all the 'bad elements' mentioned above. "

there is a picture of what they are talking about - its a little small, but if you go here :

http://www.3men.com/Images/bilton1.jpg

Its a small picture so when the page loads up hold down Ctrl and press the "+" key a couple times to magnify the image to see it more clearly.

Iv made a box just like this all that's left is for me to get some insect mesh for the sides. I live in England and its cold (and its quite wet too! lol).
Do you guys think that i could dry biltong at home like above with a mesh box and a small fan and the meat wouldn't get mouldy? I'm sure the traditional method (box with few holes and a bulb for convection currents) is totally safe since most people do it that way i just dot like the idea of it being a bulb in a wooden box is all... Call me paranoid, whatever! ;-P

Anyway, i would appreciate any feedback guys. Also, if anyone has tried the mesh box and fan method, i would appreciate any info on your experience?

Thanks guys!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!