Venting my bds out the wall

Started by turko77, January 30, 2010, 07:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

turko77

I just bought a bds and would like to vent it out the wall in my garage,since I live in northern mn and would like to use it in the winter..Is there anything I should be aware of to make this work correctly?  I have learned allot just reading this forum for one day!  Allot of helpful people on this site and I really appreciate the help.  I have made one batch of smoked sausage and I got it too hot and they fatted out :-[............not bad,but still learning,  didn't realize the temp swing on it would be that much.  Ordered a pid to help me. out.  Any advice is is very much appreciated!

turko

Tenpoint5

Welcome Aboard Turko

There are several different members that have vented out the wall one of them will be along shortly to help you out.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

RAF128

I did mine but it doesn't go through the wall but out a window.   I cut a piece of ply wood the size of my window,and put the vent through it to the out side.  

Here's a picture of what I have.

I guess it could go through the wall but make sure the vent clears the wall or you'll end up with smoke stains on the out side.   I found that out and will have a big cleaning job in the spring.   

Klondikesmoker

I did mine out the wall and it works fine.  I also added a 4 inch duct fan.  If I was to do it again I would NOT reduce to 3 inch.  I believe it restricts the flow  a little.  As RAF states extend the vent out past the wall a few inches to avoid stains. 

Klondikesmoker

turko77

Thanks for the pics and ideas.............heh klondikesmoker, what does the fan do for ya and is it variable speed.  Did you mount your pipe permanant? Where do youbuy these duct fans at?  This site is very cool! thanx again everybody for the help....

turko

Klondikesmoker

The fan helps the air flow.  If the fan is not on then the smoke backs up thru the smoke generator, not a good thing.  With the fan on it keeps the smoke and air flowing out the pipe.  It does not rob any heat or excess smoke.  ie with the fan on the smoke still fills the tower.  I got my fan at the local hardware store and they come in 4,6,8,10 inch sizes. (duct fan)  The fan is NOT variable speed but was thinking of adding a switch to it.  the pipe is not permanentley attached to the smoker but there is a whole thru the wall so it is permanent there. 

Klondikesmoker

bundy

I also did mine out the window, plus added the 4" duct fan. The fan I use when the wind is wrong and the BDS won't draft, or if I want to clear the smoke out of the box. I made a gap of about 1" between the smoker and the piping out.
Good luck and welcome to the forum!

smokeNcanuck

turko77 Welcome to the forum!!

I also vent my OBS through my garage window.  All I use is a piece of flexible duct like RAF128.
I have no in line fan right now but will probably put one in.  As bundy stated if the wind direction is wrong
it will not draft properly causing smoke to back up in to the generator.  Just don't seal the vent pipe
to your Bradley, you need it to draw air from inside the garage as well as the smoke from inside your cabinet.

Good Luck and Good SmokeN! :D
Either Way....I'm Smoke'N It

turko77

Thanks everybody for the help..I now gotta plan

Toker

Sorry Klondikesmoker what cfm is you fan pls? And you know the adjustable vent on top of the smoker did you take it of or is it still there and if is still there i guess you always let it full open? And last one what type of on/off switch comes with your fan? Did you wired it your self or it came prewired? THX
                                                    Frank

MPTubbs

You have to wire the fan to your power source.

You can also put in line a dimmer switch for fan speed.

Notch out the duct so the handle of the vent is sticking out and mark on the the top of your smoker Closed...1/2 open...wide open.

I personally would have the end of the duct about 6 to 12 inches above the vent so it can draw in fresh air while the fan was running.

You don't want to suck out the smoke/heat out of the tower.
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Toker

OK thx one more question pls, at the end of the duct i mean the end that goes outside would you put a kind of grate or screen of a kind to patch the hole or not?

RAF128

I didn't but mine uses the window and when not in use, I take it out and close the window.    If you have it permanently vented through a wall you might want to consider doing something to cap the pipe to keep birds and whatever from coming in.   I have thought about putting something on the end of mine to adjust away from the direction of the wind.

OU812

I have a dryer vent on the end of mine.

This is when the vent fan is on.

Toker

OK thx just to clarify the things i have no garage I'm just thinking of building a kind of Bradley hotel like i seen here in this forum. I guess its the same thing same method.