Venting my bds out the wall

Started by turko77, January 30, 2010, 07:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Klondikesmoker

Quote from: toker on February 03, 2010, 01:20:18 AM
Sorry Klondikesmoker what cfm is you fan pls?
   No idea what the cfm is just a standard 4 inch duct fan.

And you know the adjustable vent on top of the smoker did you take it of or is it still there and if is still there i guess you always let it full open?
  Vent adjuster is still there I can lift the pipe to adjust it.

And last one what type of on/off switch comes with your fan?
   There is no switch I just plug it in or not.  I have been thinking about putting a dimmer switch in.

Did you wired it your self or it came prewired? THX
  I had to wire it myself,  I just put a plug on it. 

at the end of the duct i mean the end that goes outside would you put a kind of grate or screen of a kind to patch the hole or not?
   I did put a dryer vent on the outside end of the pipe but with the extra cold weather here I took one of the flaps off as it was freezing shut. 

I notice some recommend leaving space between the smoker and the  pipe.  I have not had any problems leaving it right on top of the smoker.  I am still able to keep the smoker up to temp and it doesn't suck out all the smoke.   I have tried it with a gap but it doesn't seem to make any difference, except some smoke gets into the garage.   I will extend the pipe out a couple of inches to avoid the dripping onto the house siding.  I am sure this will be an ugly job in the spring to clean. 

Klondikesmoker

HawkeyeSmokes

I used a 4" Inductor fan for mine that is rated at 80 cfm.

If you want a variable speed control, make sure to get one that is made for an AC motor and not a dimmer switch for lights.
HawkeyeSmokes

Toker

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on February 03, 2010, 08:25:41 AM

If you want a variable speed control, make sure to get one that is made for an AC motor and not a dimmer switch for lights.

Do you use one speed control yourself or just the fan without it? Is 80 cfm just enough or too much strength? i just bought one like your a 80 cfm not installed yet. My plan would be not using one and since i will be using it outside and i have no choice than using a power strip i will use one with a on/off switch anyway my fan came prewired.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: toker on February 03, 2010, 08:31:36 AM
Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on February 03, 2010, 08:25:41 AM

Do you use one speed control yourself or just the fan without it? Is 80 cfm just enough or too much strength? i just bought one like your a 80 cfm not installed yet.

Just wired mine to a 3 prong cord, no switch. Used all 4" pipe except for a 6" to 4" reducer on top of the smoker. Had to play with it a bit and wound up raising it about 1" from the smoker because mine was dropping the temp in the smoker. I've had no moisture at all coming from the vent and I think it's because of the high volume of air it moves.

It kind of works like a miniature version of the one OU812 made. Smoker Hood

His is real sweet!

Hope this helps some.  ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Toker

Sorry i don't understand the need for the 6" to 4" reducer it was not wide enough for the bradley need?

HawkeyeSmokes

The 6" just covers the Bradley vent better with less smoke escaping.
HawkeyeSmokes

Toker

OK THX now i know how to make it  :D

OU812

I put a variable speed switch for a ceiling fan on mine, mainly so I can turn the fan speed down. I havent needed to turn the speed to high yet, it runs at just over half speed and keeps up with the smoker. Also I can shut the fan off with out havin to un plug it.

A plain ol on off switch will work too.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: OU812 on February 03, 2010, 09:13:26 AM
I put a variable speed switch for a ceiling fan on mine, mainly so I can turn the fan speed down. I havent needed to turn the speed to high yet, it runs at just over half speed and keeps up with the smoker. Also I can shut the fan off with out havin to un plug it.

A plain ol on off switch will work too.

If I wasn't renting OU812, I would try to make mine just like yours. It has to be the nicest one I've seen!

;D ;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Toker

I live in an apartement too  ;) thats why i will be building a kind of bradley hotel. But as far as the fan speed variable goes for my inline 80 cfm duct fan can i use it with my fan?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Speedster-Variable-Speed-Fan-Control-ventilation_W0QQitemZ110488800842QQihZ001QQcategoryZ43555QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26ps%3D6

thx again.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: toker on February 03, 2010, 09:33:00 AM
I live in an apartement too  ;) thats why i will be building a kind of bradley hotel. But as far as the fan speed variable goes for my inline 80 cfm duct fan can i use it with my fan?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Speedster-Variable-Speed-Fan-Control-ventilation_W0QQitemZ110488800842QQihZ001QQcategoryZ43555QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26ps%3D6

thx again.

Looks like it should work.
HawkeyeSmokes

OU812

Thanks Hawkeye

Even in this cold ass weather were havin theres no condensation build up out side and the flappy thing dont freeze shut on the outside eather.

toker

The variable speed switch will work fine.

Toker

Great i will buy one thx for the confirmation.

RAF128

I don't know but IMO an 80cfm fan is going to move a lot of air.    I wonder if there would be any smoke in the tower.   Also it would suck a lot of heat out to.   

Toker

So what range of CFM do you suggest? More like 40 CFM?