Venting my bds out the wall

Started by turko77, January 30, 2010, 07:29:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RAF128

I'm no expert with in line fans.    If I were to put one in I'd go with smallest I could get and then put a reostat switch on it.   Then I would be a matter of experimenting to find what works best.

Toker

Its a chance that ive just bought it too  :o

OU812

Quote from: toker on February 03, 2010, 11:04:56 AM
Its a chance that ive just bought it too  :o

The variable speed switch will slow the fan down to the CFM you need.

Toker

Hey look what i just found on the web about inline duct fans...and i just bought a speed controller  >:(

Can I use a rheostat or fan speed control with an In-Line Duct Fan?
No. A rheostat lowers the voltage supplied to the fan motor. This will cause the motor to overheat and the Thermal Protector will open, destroying the motor. A solid-state fan speed control could be used. The problem is that such a control allows the fan to be adjusted to very low RPM's. Since the electric motor needs air flowing over it for cooling, adjusting to too low a RPM will cause the motor to overheat. That will cause the Thermal Protector to open, destroying the motor and voiding the Warranty. Since the speed the motor is adjusted by the user and is not under the control of Suncourt, we advise against using a solid-state motor speed control.

OU812

Well it aint like your goin to turn the fan down that low to do that.

If you did the fan wont move the smoke out.

Toker

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on February 03, 2010, 09:35:59 AM
Quote from: toker on February 03, 2010, 09:33:00 AM
I live in an apartment too ;) that's why i will be building a kind of Bradley hotel. But as far as the fan speed variable goes for my in line 80 cfm duct fan can i use it with my fan?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Speedster-Variable-Speed-Fan-Control-ventilation_W0QQitemZ110488800842QQihZ001QQcategoryZ43555QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp3286.m7QQ_trkparmsZalgo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D3%26ps%3D6

thx again.

Looks like it should work.

are you sure i could use it with my in line fan according what i just found and posted? A confirmation or a clarification would be nice. I'm really worry i just bought one speed controller not even 1h ago.  ???

TTNuge

Honestly, I am using an 80cfm fan in the following run and I can't see any reason you'd ever want to turn it down.  It's not a huge amount of suction, just a nice reasonable about that keeps air flowing through the ducting.  I would just wire it up and disregard any type of speed control.

Toker

ok but i have no garage me only an enclosure like bradley hotel that i seen on an other post in this forum its more like  4x4x4 might be extremly too much. i did not find any lower cfm fan thats why i bought the 80 cfm.

HawkeyeSmokes

Suncourt has a solid state fan control so you should be able to use one. Don't use a rheostat.

Variable Speed Fan Control
HawkeyeSmokes