First Fatty

Started by ArnieM, January 31, 2010, 05:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

Actually, a week of firsts.  First use of my new LEM grinder on Top Round for the fatty, first use of my LEM vertical stuffer for sausage (both of those things rock!), first bacon weave and, of course, first fatty.  The GB was seasoned up with garlic, onion and chipotle powders and black pepper prior to grinding.

Here are pics of most of the steps involved.  Fatty pros, please feel free to jump in with comments on how I might improve on it.  In the end, I think I could have used more stuffing.

Mixed the 1 1/4 pounds of GB up with most of an egg, plain bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.  Pressed it out into an 8x8 glass dish trying for a square shape.

Rolled it out with my ice and water filled plastic roller.  Well, it's almost square.

Started the stuffing with chopped black olives and julienned  canned Jals.

Added quartered hard boiled eggs and more chopped black olives - yeah, I like black olives.

Finished up the roll after adding smoked mozzarella, more julienned Jals and, of course, chopped black olives.

Ready for the oven - 350 convection 'til it's done.

It's done.  Pulled at 155, coasted to 162 while resting.

Taking a look inside.  Ready to slice.

-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

squirtthecat

I like it!

Bring on the black olives...

leftcoast smoker

needs more olives!!!!, man I love those things

classicrockgriller

fattie, fattie

2 X 4

Can't get thru

the bathroom door!

Looks just delicious Arnie!

Hmmm! Jalapeno stuffed Green Olives? Yum!

OU812

Looks gooood Arnie

I'm with the other guys, bring on the olives.

Tenpoint5

Look great Arnie, very nice bacon weave. NO SMOKE???? Must have been some really bad MOJO floating around your place that you didn't use smoke.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

HawkeyeSmokes

Very nice Arnie!

Wait until your next one and it's smoked!

;D
HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 01, 2010, 06:09:00 AM
Look great Arnie, very nice bacon weave. NO SMOKE???? Must have been some really bad MOJO floating around your place that you didn't use smoke.

I skipped the smoke because it was cold and windy.  Next one will be smoked.

I'll add more black olives too  ;D  A nice coating of Q sauce on the inside might goo good too.
-- Arnie

squirtthecat

ArnieM

-- Arnie

KevinG

Looks great Arnie, but I'm not an olive kinda guy.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

dbondy

Looks great Arnie, love the olives too. Also nice job on the bacon. ;D

ArnieM

Thanks all.  I have to figure out how to get it stuffed for more of a 'spiral' look when cut open.

I tried to seal the ends on this one.  But, some of the mozzarella leaked out into the pan, covered in beef fat and bacon grease.  Everyone attacked it!
-- Arnie

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: ArnieM on February 02, 2010, 08:22:54 AM
Thanks all.  I have to figure out how to get it stuffed for more of a 'spiral' look when cut open.

I tried to seal the ends on this one.  But, some of the mozzarella leaked out into the pan, covered in beef fat and bacon grease.  Everyone attacked it!

For the spiral look, just cover the meat from front to back. Then when it gets rolled, you will have that spiral.

Mine have leaked to. I'm hoping for answers on that one to.  ???

HawkeyeSmokes

ArnieM

Quote from: HawkeyeSmokes on February 02, 2010, 08:28:45 AM

Mine have leaked to. I'm hoping for answers on that one to.  ???

I'll try a 'plug' on the next one.  I used a fairly thick piece of ham to plug up the top of my first ABTs; they were laying down.  It worked well.  Something similar might work for the fatty.
-- Arnie