smoked salt ??

Started by mow_delon, February 01, 2010, 11:28:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mow_delon

Anyone here ever try to smoke salt?  A friend of mine was telling me about it and how easy he thought it would be for me to make in my Bradley.  I looked around a little on the net to see if there were any recipies, but most said that "specialized" and proprietary equipment was needed to get the salt to turn out right.  Thanks

squirtthecat

I did it (along with some Paprika and peppercorns) with some commercial sized coffee filters..   Turned out great.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: mow_delon on February 01, 2010, 11:28:21 AM
Anyone here ever try to smoke salt?  A friend of mine was telling me about it and how easy he thought it would be for me to make in my Bradley.  I looked around a little on the net to see if there were any recipies, but most said that "specialized" and proprietary equipment was needed to get the salt to turn out right.  Thanks

By specialized equipment they mean a coffee filter!! Next time your doing a smoke or cold smoking some cheese pour some sea salt on a coffee filter and set in on the top rack and let it hang out for the smoke. Maybe stick your finger in it every now and then and stir it around. Don't worry salt doesn't melt until something like 2745* I think WTS is the only one who has had his Bradley get that hot. But that is another story.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

love the smoke

wondering if a guy could do kosher salt ?

LTS
LTS

squirtthecat

RAF128

mow_delon

thanks for the info, fellow smokers!  I am going to give it a try next time I smoke.  Is there any set time that it needs to smoke to get the full flavor into the salt?

Quarlow

Funny you should ask that. We had someone smoke salt for something like 10 or 12 hrs. Way excessive, and just to costly. I'm not sure how long Squirt did his but someone will answer that soon.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

squirtthecat

I'm pretty sure I gave it about 2 hours of Oak..  (2 hours of something, anyway)

The salt could have gone a bit longer, but I had the cheese in there as well.
It picked up a nice flavor.  I still have some in a jar I used from time to time.

Up In Smoke

SCT how did the peppercorns turn out?
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

squirtthecat

Quote from: Up In Smoke on February 04, 2010, 05:55:37 PM
SCT how did the peppercorns turn out?

Very mild, but good.  You get a hint of oak smoke with each grind.

Bavind

I smoked course sea salt for 20 hours with hickory turned out great

mow_delon

20 hours?!!??!!!  thats 60 pucks!!  Is the flavor that you gained worth $25-$30 of pucks?

I smoked about 3/4 a cup of kosher salt in a coffee filter for two hours with special blend on Sat. and I can't taste the difference from the unsmoked salt.  I am going to put it back in this week with whatever I do to see if it picks up more flavor.

Bavind

I think it was worth it. The salt had an amazing flavour. I gave away a lot for Christmas and have had lots of requests for more. The salt took on an amazing amber colour

jcohan

Quote from: mow_delon on February 08, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
20 hours?!!??!!!  thats 60 pucks!!  Is the flavor that you gained worth $25-$30 of pucks?

I don't see any reason why it needs to be done in one smoking session or why you need to dedicate a smoke to the salt.  Throw the salt in on the bottom rack along with a regular smoke and keep putting it in for successive smokes until you get the flavour you want.  Won't cost you anything at all.