Butt temp problem

Started by watchdog56, February 06, 2010, 03:54:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

watchdog56

Just upped the temp on my PID to 320 will keep an eye on it so it does not get to hot.

classicrockgriller

I do whatever it takes.

I am there to plz the pig! ;D

Quote from: watchdog56 on February 06, 2010, 04:38:30 PM
Just upped the temp on my PID to 320 will keep an eye on it so it does not get to hot.

Your thermo fuse is rated at 150*C

classicrockgriller

watchdog, do you have the older or newer auber?

watchdog56

Pachanga

As long as the element is glowing constantly, it doesn't matter what temp things are set at.  On is on.  The meat mass will hold the temp down until it equalizes.   I have started 50 pounds of brisket at 8 PM  at 250.  The next morning the temp is at 180.  The Bradley is low and slow.  Introducing higher heat mass, blocking the wind or moving the smoker to higher ambient temperature in a cabinet or garage is the only way to move temp up faster.

As long as you are gaining IT or cabinet temp, you are winning.

Hang in there Bud,

Pachanga

classicrockgriller

The reason I ask is that FYI the new dual probes are topped out at 280's unless you send it back and have the chip replaced.

But On is ON!

Pachanga

Quotethe new dual probes are topped out at 280's unless you send it back and have the chip replaced.

That is good info CRG.

Pachanga

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: Pachanga on February 06, 2010, 04:49:46 PM
As long as the element is glowing constantly, it doesn't matter what temp things are set at.  On is on.  The meat mass will hold the temp down until it equalizes.   I have started 50 pounds of brisket at 8 PM  at 250.  The next morning the temp is at 180.  The Bradley is low and slow.  Introducing higher heat mass, blocking the wind or moving the smoker to higher ambient temperature in a cabinet or garage is the only way to move temp up faster.

Hang in there Bud,

Pachanga

Pachanga is correct. As long as the elements are glowing, turning the PID up isn't going to speed things up.

I would just set it to your desired cooking temp, that way you don't have to keep and eye on it.
HawkeyeSmokes

MPTubbs

Quote from: Pachanga on February 06, 2010, 04:49:46 PM
As long as the element is glowing constantly, it doesn't matter what temp things are set at.  On is on.  The meat mass will hold the temp down until it equalizes.   I have started 50 pounds of brisket at 8 PM  at 250.  The next morning the temp is at 180.  The Bradley is low and slow.  Introducing higher heat mass, blocking the wind or moving the smoker to higher ambient temperature in a cabinet or garage is the only way to move temp up faster.

Hang in there Bud,

Pachanga

You beat me to it Buddy!

I was going to say the same thing!
If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

watchdog56

temp is up to 203 now so I will probably turn it back down to about 250 for the overnight. Thanks for all the info.

ArnieM

Quote from: MPTubbs on February 06, 2010, 04:07:10 PM
Also you might try to keep the smoke generator on at all times.

The generator is another 250 watts of heat!

Trust me it helps.

FYI - The SG is 125 Watts - but it still helps.
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.