Whole Juniper Berries

Started by classicrockgriller, February 02, 2010, 09:30:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

I wouldn't mind a jar if you can squeeze it in.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

KevinG

Yea, I think I've got a couple of recipes that call for it.

classicrockgriller

Caneyscud

Quote from: mow_delon on February 03, 2010, 06:19:47 AM
can one pick them from juniper bushes or cedar trees and dehydrate them to last all year?

What do you season with juniper berries, anyway?
Perhaps you aren't familiar with juniper berries as a recipe ingredient but if you have ever indulged in a gin and tonic, you have tasted them.  Juniper is what gives gin its unique flavor.  Also, the Slovak national alcoholic beverage borovicka (or something like that) is also flavored with juniper berries.  In Finland, juniper is used as a key ingredient in making sahti, a traditional Finnish ale.

Most juniper fruit used for recipes is Juniperus communis, while some is, Juniperus virginiana or red cedar. You can forage and dry your own, but the best come from the Mediterranean region.  Supposedly, juniper berries will become tasteless after long storage, but I have some that are at least 5 years old and still have flavor. 

Juniper berries are often used in long and slow wild game (venison) cooking although they compliment beef and pork as well.  I've used them in sauerbraten and corned beef.  They are sometimes used in sauerkraut and would not be out of place with other hearty vegetables - especially cabbage. Use in marinades and sauces particularly those with black pepper, garlic, thyme, or rosemary and wine.   During the Roman Empire, the dried berries replaced pepper.  The dried berries should be crushed well just before using. You won't need many, three or four of the berries will flavor most dishes without overpowering the main ingredient or other seasonings.     

Obligatory warning:   One of juniper's components is a known diuretic that causes irritation to kidney functions. This potential is why pregnant women and those suffering from kidney ailments are warned away juniper's food use.  However it is most potent in the fresh berries and by the time the berries are dried and cured, most of these oils have deteriorated.   

However, the best use I have found for juniper berries I find in old materia medica,  crush and put on the (lets just say sensitive body parts of both sexes) before (ahemmm, blushing now) as a contraceptive.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KevinG

Yea, just one bottle should be good. I can't seem to find my recipes that use it, but I think that'd suffice.

FLBentRider

Quote from: Caneyscud on February 04, 2010, 08:27:01 AM
However, the best use I have found for juniper berries I find in old materia medica,  crush and put on the (lets just say sensitive body parts of both sexes) before (ahemmm, blushing now) as a contraceptive.

Would that be before or after the gin ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

3rensho

QuoteWhat do you season with juniper berries, anyway?

In addition to the Sauerkraut and Schlachtplatte that I referred to above, they are used in grad school to make a very palatable gin with the addition of additional ingredients like cardamom.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Quarlow

Quote from: 3rensho on February 04, 2010, 09:06:05 AM
QuoteWhat do you season with juniper berries, anyway?

In addition to the Sauerkraut and Schlachtplatte that I referred to above, they are used in grad school to make a very palatable gin with the addition of additional ingredients like cardamom.
Now there's a recipe I am interested in!!!! Caramom you say..... and is there anything else you'd like to tell us about this. ;D ;D ;D Strictly for medicinal purposes of course. ::) :-X
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

3rensho

It's been a few decades but we used 95% ethanol and juniper berries, lemon peel, cardamom, a tiny bit of cinnamon stick and probably other things I've forgotten.  Reflux for one hour, distill off the 95% azeotrope and dilute to desired drinking strength with water.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: 3rensho on February 04, 2010, 10:48:52 PM
It's been a few decades but we used 95% ethanol and juniper berries, lemon peel, cardamom, a tiny bit of cinnamon stick and probably other things I've forgotten.  Reflux for one hour, distill off the 95% azeotrope and dilute to desired drinking strength with water.

These days it is difficult to get 95% grain alcohol in New York. If I use 75.5% grain neutral spirits, will that work, and just dilute it with a 40% vodka? I don't have the means to distill, but will strain. I do this when I make flavored vodka's and limoncello.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

Oh yeah, the 75% will work just fine Habs.  Just reflux, cool, filter and dilute to desired drinking strength.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: FLBentRider on February 04, 2010, 08:51:45 AM
Quote from: Caneyscud on February 04, 2010, 08:27:01 AM

Would that be before or after the gin ?

Think I will pick up an extra bottle or two.

Quarlow

Yeah I'm thinking that it's easier to buy it. I have no idea what he's talking about. But Habs I would like the recipe for limoncello. I saw Alton make it on Good Eats the other night and of course they say if you would like any of the recipes you saw on the food network shows to go to the website. I have never found the recipes I have tried to find once.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller