Seeking advice - Venison summer sausage

Started by Monch, February 03, 2010, 09:08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I'm thinking too much pork.
10lbs pork to 15 venison.

Habanero Smoker

My thought is much water for this recipe. Although 8% water is within range of usage, you don't have any binders, and the added water may not have cooked out enough. Maybe try 1-1/4 cups of water. That will bring the added water to around 5%. Or use lower temperatures and cook for a longer period of time.

If you are refrigerating it for 5 days after you added the ingredients including the cure, you don't have to be too concern if all the cure doesn't dissolve in the water. You are thoroughly mixing, and five days is more then enough time for the cure to evenly distribute.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

OU812

15 lb deer 10 lb pork = 60/40  That aint bad if your using pork butt.

The fat might be a little high if the 40% pork is 50% fat, butt is around 20% fat.

Sausages need about 20 to 30% fat, to me 30% is to much fat even for deer.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 04, 2010, 02:33:45 PM
I go 5oz water per 5lbs of meat.

I recalculated and it may be closer to 7% by weight - I'm getting 3.2 oz per 5 pounds of meat and fat. But then too, I haven't had my dinner yet, so that can be causing me to miscalculate.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: OU812 on February 04, 2010, 02:37:00 PM
15 lb deer 10 lb pork = 60/40  That aint bad if your using pork butt.

The fat might be a little high if the 40% pork is 50% fat, butt is around 20% fat.

Sausages need about 20 to 30% fat, to me 30% is to much fat even for deer.

yeah me too

mow_delon

I completely agree that too much pork fat was added.  It is just my opinion, but most of the time I use ground beef (80/20) when I make summer sausage because I like the drier consistancy of the meat.  I also stopped using water at all when I mix in cure (not sure if right or not, but sure made the sausage easier for me to handle and mix).

Well, good luck next time and keep trying!!!!  Happy smoking