pepperoni sticks

Started by HuntinFool, February 03, 2010, 05:39:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Nice sticks.

Thats why i have a longer dry hang time too.

FLBentRider

Quote from: jcohan on February 04, 2010, 06:50:07 PM
So, for my taste, the next batch will be cured at room temperature for 24 hours before smoking. 

Is that safe ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

jcohan

Quote from: FLBentRider on February 05, 2010, 06:50:29 AM
Quote from: jcohan on February 04, 2010, 06:50:07 PM
So, for my taste, the next batch will be cured at room temperature for 24 hours before smoking. 

Is that safe ?

As long as you include the correct amount of nitrite cure and mix it well you will be fine.

OU812

Great job on the sticks jcohan, they look great.

I have found that if you let the sticks smoke and keep the cabnet temp at 130 to 140 F till the IT hits 100 F before you start to ramp the temp of the smoker up you will get more of a tang.

The fremento needs time to work, like the 24 hr at room temp does.

Just a little note to save time, you dont need to tie off the sticks. Just crank out one long stick and cut to length with scissors after your done stuffin.

Trust me the meat wont fall out.

jcohan

Quote from: OU812 on February 05, 2010, 03:54:30 PM
Great job on the sticks jcohan, they look great.

I have found that if you let the sticks smoke and keep the cabnet temp at 130 to 140 F till the IT hits 100 F before you start to ramp the temp of the smoker up you will get more of a tang.

The fremento needs time to work, like the 24 hr at room temp does.

Just a little note to save time, you dont need to tie off the sticks. Just crank out one long stick and cut to length with scissors after your done stuffin.

Trust me the meat wont fall out.

Thanks.  I've done the cut sausages before. I guess I just like the look of the finished ends better.  I've found that after several hours you can cut them apart and remove the strings and they will hold their shape. Natural hog casings twist very well but the collagen casings are not as cooperative.