Sioux Jerky/Recipe From A Friend

Started by NePaSmoKer, February 01, 2010, 08:12:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

I have a friend who is native Sioux by the Cheyenne river. I been after him for years for this jerky recipe. Well i finally got it with some restrictions.

Last wednesday i received a box with a patty of this brown stuff and some instructions. He makes the jerky from buffalo but he said beef will work just as good. I use my mortar/pestle to powderize a chunk of the patty, add salt, pepper, garlic (he uses wild garlic) They add the dry to the strips and chunks but i'm doing it as a wet. Should work.

His family used to make this the old fashion way by the fire on wooden racks but now its done in the house.

The unknown powder?

All mixed with the other dry and 3 cups water.

The salt quickly bled out the meat and it turned the marinade red. Hope it works  :-\

Doing 20 Reveo minuets.

I told him how its going to smoke and he said it will be fine. 4 pucks of hickory @160*

Tenpoint5

I will volunteer to take one for the team. I will sample this jerky for you Nepas. As much as it pains me, I will try it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 01, 2010, 08:29:11 AM
I will volunteer to take one for the team. I will sample this jerky for you Nepas. As much as it pains me, I will try it.

:D

yeah i bet it pains you   :D  ;D

Got jerky racked and ready.

NePaSmoKer

Jerky turned out pretty good. Ready for the paper bag.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Gizmo

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 01, 2010, 08:12:53 AM

The unknown powder?

My first guess would be demerara sugar but that doesn't come in a patty form that I know of.  Wouldn't make sense for it to be pemmican other than that being a traditional Sioux Jerky.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 01, 2010, 08:29:11 AM
I'm telling you Nepas I WILL take one for the Team. I think if I tried hard enough I could choke most of that down.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

dbondy

Man does that ever look good. Nice job NEPAS.

seemore

KyNola

NePaS,
PLEASE tell me you know what a buffalo chip looks like and didn't just grind one up to put in your jerky mix! :D  You said he used buffalo to make his jerky.

KyNola

Roadking

Hey Nepas,
Now you have 2 friends that are Indians, Joan's a Cherokee indian. 25% true blood from Kentucky. Don't know what part of her is indian but sometimes I think she sits on her 25%.  :o

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: KyNola on February 02, 2010, 09:52:31 AM
NePaS,
PLEASE tell me you know what a buffalo chip looks like and didn't just grind one up to put in your jerky mix! :D  You said he used buffalo to make his jerky.

KyNola

Growing up on a small farm i used barn baseballs  :D  :D shhhh dont tell anyone  :D  :o

Roadking

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 02, 2010, 05:28:44 PM
Quote from: KyNola on February 02, 2010, 09:52:31 AM
NePaS,

KyNola

Growing up on a small farm i used barn baseballs  :D  :D shhhh dont tell anyone  :D  :o
Chips come from the opposite end of the nose. We used to burn them for fuel.... ;D