Super Bowl Smoke Out

Started by SnellySmokesEm, February 05, 2010, 02:27:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

Yee Haw, and Rawhide Smoking !

SnellySmokesEm

Well the butt has been moved to the oven to make room for the briskett.  My temp on the pork seems to have stalled at 171 IT. This is the second stall.  The first was @ 154 IT.  Is it normal to have a  second stall?

The Brisket went in at 11:30.  Its gonna be a long night!!!   ;D
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

HawkeyeSmokes

Not sure if the second stall in normal, but I've had it happen and so have others.

You might be in for a long night, I was when it happened to me.  ::)
HawkeyeSmokes

SnellySmokesEm

Well the temp is on the rise again... almost a 2 hr stall
BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

You got a Dbl Staller?

Yep, 150'ish, 170'ish

Last two I had did that.

Thought I was crazy or did something wrong.

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on February 06, 2010, 10:18:11 PM
Well the temp is on the rise again... almost a 2 hr stall

Don't expect it to rise fast.

All you have done is cook the collagen to the point that moisture is leaving the Butt.

SnellySmokesEm

The ol'  Bbl staller.....Thanks CGR!  Time for a one hour "nap"

BBQ Evangelist

classicrockgriller

Quote from: SnellySmokesEm on February 06, 2010, 10:51:16 PM
The ol'  Bbl staller.....Thanks CGR!  Time for a one hour "nap"

Maybe two to four, go do it!

hal4uk

Hmmmm...  He recommends naps... He just doesn't take 'em himself....
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

SnellySmokesEm

This is the finished pork butt.  It was 8lbs. I brined the butt for 24 hours, rubbed it with Alpine's rub, slathered with CYM and mopped with Pachanga's mopping sauce. I smoked for 4 hours using mesquite and apple.  Total cook time was 20hrs.  After 16hrs I pulled the butts out of the ES, boated and moved into the oven to finish.  The only reason I moved to the oven was to make room for the brisket.  My pork stalled twice during the cook.  Once at  IT 155 and again at IT 175.  Since the pork was finished at 3:30 am I FTC'd for 8 hrs and then pulled and put in the crock pot.

The Smoked butt was by for the most tender/moist pulled pork I have ever had. 

Now onto the Brisket

I used Pachanga's brisket recipe thread
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12061.0
to help me trim  the brisket and used the scrap fat to baste the brisket.  The dogs loves the scraps!!!

The finished brisket

WOW!  Thats all I can say.  All the advice from the forum helped make this brisket perfect.  Anyone can make brisket like this.  This was the most tender/moist beef I have ever had.  The bark had so much flavor and really made it the best condiment for the beef.  I feel bad for serving family brisket (trimmed flat) before this.    The brisket cut like butter and tasted great.  It was very impressive to my guest and even more impressive to me!!!!

The 14.5 brisket just fit into the ES.  I smoked for 4 hours using mesquite and apple and cooked for a total of 17.5 hrs. I used Alpine's Rub then slathered with CYM and injected with garlic butter.  During the cook I basted with Pachanga's basting sauce.  (I cant find the link anymore so maybe Pachanga will be so kind to share with us again :) )

sorry I didnt take pictures of the sliced brisket.  Was a little buzzed at that point.

Thanks again for all the advice.  What the hell was I so stressed for??  Cant wait to do it all again!  Hmmmm whats next?  Ahhh yes Pastrami!!!!!!
BBQ Evangelist

Caneyscud

Wowsers!  Good looking eats!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Quarlow

Oooooh my that looks fantastic. Nice work.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Pachanga

Snelly,

That was one good looking smoke.  If the butt and brisket tasted half as good as they looked, you hit it out of the park.

Good for you.

I'll repost the mop later.  I'm doing some more research on mops.  I have had a lot of PMs interested in mops since the "To Mop or Not to Mop" thread was posted so I am going to post something up and try to involve a lot of the board.

QuoteThe bark had so much flavor and really made it the best condiment for the beef.

Your description of the bark being the condiment for the brisket is right on target.  That is the way I feel about a Texas Style Brisket and the way it should be.

QuoteI feel bad for serving family brisket (trimmed flat) before this.

I started sending briskets to New York for my daughter.  She packs them in her luggage or her backpack on the plane ride with no shame.  When her friends ate Texas Style Brisket for the first time, they were pretty upset with their parents for depriving them of "real" food all their lives and called and told them so.  Now they have to have a regular brisket fix.

Thanks for the Photos.  It was a very impressive smoke and it came out perfect.  

The members on this board are a bunch of fine folks with great ideas and loads of smoking experience. They are always ready to share.  What one doesn't know, another one will.  Pass it forward.

Good luck and slow smoking,

Pachanga

OU812

Nice lookin eats there Snelly.

ronbeaux

You really knocked that one out of the park!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

Batman of BBQ

looks awesome Snelly!  wish I could have made it my man.
Don't want to be the best in the world, just the best in my neighborhood.

1 OBS, Nuff Said