Adaptor for a gas grill

Started by phxsmoker, February 07, 2010, 01:27:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

phxsmoker

Has anyone tried using the Smoker Generator to supply smoke for a conventional built-in gas grill?  Assuming I get the venting and airflow correct, it seems the grill surface could be used for the chamber (probably would have to remove grill drip pan for good smoke flow).  The idea would be to have a smoker for when I've got time but still have the quick convenience of a gas grill when quick grilling is needed.

classicrockgriller

Hiya phx and welcome to the show.

I would think that if you ran the generator thru a cold smoke adptor

You could feed smoke to just about anything you wanted to.

Gamefish

Quote from: phxsmoker on February 07, 2010, 01:27:35 PM
Has anyone tried using the Smoker Generator to supply smoke for a conventional built-in gas grill?  Assuming I get the venting and airflow correct, it seems the grill surface could be used for the chamber (probably would have to remove grill drip pan for good smoke flow).  The idea would be to have a smoker for when I've got time but still have the quick convenience of a gas grill when quick grilling is needed.

I think Bradley should make one ::) , just the thought of creating smoke while you BBQ is a great concept 8)

Caneyscud

Or, even easier, wrap some wood chips loosely in alum foil, and put over foil, or buy one of them things in the store that does the same thing, or buy a smoke pistol, or the La Caja smoke generator, a smoke daddy, or possibly other types of smoke generators. 

Ok, now rereading the post!  Don't know why it would not work unless some of the hotter temps used in grilling would hurt the unit.  Or if you did not want to cut a hole in your gasser and attach some hanging bolts on the side. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Bangkok Smoke

Saw on the site that makes the Afterburner Gas burner kits, Cut the top out of a large Juice can, just one end, Fill it with wood chips or chunks, Double a piece of HD ALu. Foil and cover the open end. Punch a whole in the center of the foil the size of your finger.

Place the un opened end of the can over the / toward the burner. Smoke start PDQ (5 mi or so)

I tried this and it worked a treat in my gas grill set up for indirect cooking.
gb