PLEASE HELP HOW TO MAKE HOME MADE BISQUETTS

Started by persik13, February 09, 2010, 04:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

classicrockgriller

I have a black walnut tree I may try that out on.

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

KevinG

For those, you put the lime in the coconut and shake it all up.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

mow_delon

Hey Al, this method of making pucks looks great.  A couple of questions on the homemade pucks:

do you dry the branches before cutting up, or just use fresh cut wood?

Do you remove the bark before smoking or not worry about it?  I would think that bark would start on fire...but maybe not?

How important have you found the circumfrence of the puck to be?

I am going out to cut some maple branches off my tree to try this right now.  Thanks for the idea!

Uncle Al

I'll be quick as the Olympic Hockey game is looming...

I do not dry them.  But if green they burn slower so drying seems to be a good thing.

I don't remove the bark.  It stays whole and then drops in the water.

The circumference can vary within a half inch.  If smaller they just don't fall off when the next puck slides forward and sometimes only half a puck is on the plate and burning but none of that seems to matter.  In 20 minutes it pushes forward and then burns completely.

Go Canada Go...

mow_delon

I gave this a try with some mulberry that I had and couldn't get the wood to smoke.  It would turn a little black, but no smoke was visible in the cabinet and only a very little was comming off the puck.  I thought that I would let them dry for a month or so and try again (the branch that I used was freshly cut off the tree the same hour that I tried this).  I did drill about 10 holes in the branch just as shown in the pictures and when that didn't work I drilled about 5 more in each puck, but it didn't help at all.  Maybe Mulberry just shouldn't be used like this?

Uncle Al

I live in the prairies and have not had access to Mulberry.  If the wood is that green the 20 minute cycle may not be long enough to both dry the wood and cause it to smoke.  When I burn green wood I will turn the generator off and on as I walk by to cancel the 20 minute cycle so that an individual puck burns longer.

I have used Chokecherry but found it was quite acrid when layed on too thick (Hmm, just like the berry).  Saskatoon works.  So does semi-dried birch with the bark removed.  Any crabapple or apple is good too.

Lately I have been experimenting with old oak boards but they too seemed to need a lot of holes to start smoking before they get dumped.  I guess for me I have found a wood that works consistently as a substitute for the pucks.  Red Alder, dried, cut 1/2" thick, 7-10 holes.

Have fun finding what works for your area.  When you find a system stick with it and you will always be a happy smoker...

Uncle Al

mow_delon

I think I have found a way for me to make pucks that appears to work.  I took muffler pipe that was 2 1/4 in diam. and bronzed a plate on the bottom.  I have access to a large amount of saw dust (off a router, mainly) and I pack the disk full of saw dust.  The length of time the puck smokes on the Bradley is perfect, but now I have to make some more disks and fill them with saw dust to make sure that they advance.  I will get some pictures if this works and post them here (or maybe in a new thread).