PLEASE HELP HOW TO MAKE HOME MADE BISQUETTS

Started by persik13, February 09, 2010, 04:03:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

persik13

HI EVERY WE LIVE IN UK AND TO BUY BRADLEY BISQUETS COST TOO MUCH HERE + DELIVERY
WE KNOW IN CANADA AND USA IT CHEAPER BUT DELIVERY AND TAX REALY NO POINT  >:(
COULD ANY ONE  HELP WITH ADVICE HOW TO MAKE BISQUETS AT HOME WHAT KIND OF WOOD TO USE AND WHAT TO USE TO HOLD WOOD CHIPS TOGETHER
PLEASE PLEASE HELP

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: persik13 on February 09, 2010, 04:03:19 AM
HI EVERY WE LIVE IN UK AND TO BUY BRADLEY BISQUETS COST TOO MUCH HERE + DELIVERY
WE KNOW IN CANADA AND USA IT CHEAPER BUT DELIVERY AND TAX REALY NO POINT  >:(
COULD ANY ONE  HELP WITH ADVICE HOW TO MAKE BISQUETS AT HOME WHAT KIND OF WOOD TO USE AND WHAT TO USE TO HOLD WOOD CHIPS TOGETHER
PLEASE PLEASE HELP

If you can get smoking wood chips at the store or BBQ place just use a handful on the end of the slider. I know its a pain because you have to go out brush the ash off and put more on but its a quick backup if you dont have pucks.

Quarlow

If you could find a tin can that is small enough to fit on the burner and then cut the top and bottom out so you just have a ring and then put your chips in that might help. Something like a pate can or even a well cleaned cat food tin would be just right.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

classicrockgriller

You can either use a cold smoke adaptor or make you one and put a heating element (like a hot plate) in it and burn any kind of wood chip you want to.

Habs can probably explain this better as he has done it. (I think)

Habanero Smoker

There are a couple of threads that explain how some members have made their own. I believe the most successful person that has done so is from Great Britain.

As CRG mentioned, I use a cold smoke setup to smoke with wood chips and sawdust, for wood flavors that Bradley does not make.

Using Different Wood Flavors

Here is a link to give you a better understanding of how to build the cold smoke setup.

Cold Smoke Setup

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

bassarisk

Hope this doesn't sound too stupid - I've not even bought my Bradley yet as I'm still working on finding a place for it to live.

I've seen a number of threads go on about bubba pucks - machined disks the size of a smoking puck.  Has nobody ever tried to machine something of similar shape to the bubba - but with a solid bottom i.e. the shape of a small dish - so that they are still essentially the size of a standard puck - but could have any type of chips put in them.  You could also put the chips into these containers before hand - soak them in water, compress them with a weight and let dry ready for burning in the container at a later date.

I understand that because the metal would have to heat up first, you wouldn't get as much smoke and would have to make it as thin as possible - so smoking times may be longer - but are there any engineers out there that think that this would work ????   I'm no engineer, I work in computers - so call me an idiot at your will :)

"The angler is a hopeful mortal who ought to know better"

H.T. Sheringham (1876 - 1930)

squirtthecat

bassarisk, I've had that same thought..

A machined aluminum bowl to hold chips/sawdust or even Traeger wood pellets. (that's where I first got the idea - from a post Nepas did)   You could place three on the smoke generator, and use traditional bubbas to push them along.   If 20 minute isn't enough time to get them hot/smoking, you could always interrupt the cycle but turning the smoke gen on/off every 10 minutes.

I've even toyed with getting the Auber puck savers (they are just the cylinder - no bottom) and carefully piling some Traeger pellets in each one.

QuoteI'm no engineer, I work in computers -

Ditto here.

manxman

Manxman

NePaSmoKer

Here is a tip.

Get a clean non used freeze plug for a diesel engine (a tractor trailer engine) they are 2 1/8" round and 1/2" high flat on the bottom and will hold wood chips, sawdust or pellets and they stack well in the tube.

Quarlow

I understand that the pucks cost more over there, but the time it is going to take is a factor in this too. You can't make pucks with any production level to speak of. When I calculate my time verses my income I would have to make 62 pucks an hour to equal my income. If you don't factor your time in the equation you could do anything you want. But I only have to work 45 minutes to buy a box of pucks.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Uncle Al

This is my first post.  Although I have access to bisquettes, as Bradley calls them, I try to avoid them.  I crossed this path when I smoked my first salmon and the price of the pucks at 50 cents CAD a piece cost me more than the whole salmon did.  Something didn't seem right about this so I started to make my own pucks just as you smokers are discussing.  However, I took a completely different approach than any of you are discussing.  It is very simple and actually costs nothing.

When travelling or driving around I keep an eye out for available hardwood, such as something that was pruned out of someone's yard or in the case of my cousin's place in Nanaimo, red alder grows as a weed on the hill behind the house.  I cut sections of  2 - 2 1/2 inch raw branches from any small tree such as Red Alder, Maple, Cherry, apple, crabapple or even green birch – the list is endless.  Due to taper within the branches, the section I cut is usually only 2 – 3 feet long.

I take a 3/16" drill and pop about 10 holes down the end of the cut branch.

Then the branch goes on a WorkMate clamp and I use a bow saw to cut ½ inch pucks.  After 4 cuts I re-drill the holes in the end and start all over again.  It takes about 15 minutes to cut enough pucks to smoke a whole salmon all day.

The holes in the pucks allow the heat to burn the entire puck evenly.  Solid pucks don't burn, the holes are needed.

The pucks fit in the sleeve of the smoker and advance every 20 minutes.

The tally here is that I do not pay a cent for my wood.  Timewise, I enjoy a walk to cut a few branches and use it as exercise.  When the branches are home it only takes about 15 minutes to turn them into pucks.  Does my salmon taste better made this way – I believe it does because I have invested in this food and made it personal throughout the whole process.

I tried to attach pics taken last week during a smoking session but this forum doesn't allow it.  I can send pics if you want.  Mail me at [email protected]

Uncle Al

Habanero Smoker

Hi Uncle Al;

Welcome to the forum.

You have taken a very innovative approach. To post pictures you have to upload them to a host site, then provide a link.

Here is an easy tutorial.

How to post pictures.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Uncle Al

Thanks Habanero,

I did try that site to upload images but I received a virus warning when I entered the site so I did not proceed.  But that's OK.  If anyone reads this I don't mind sharing via email.  I did the same thing with my Indian Candy recipe on the Cookshack site and made many friends in doing so.

Or, I could send to you and you could post?  No, too complex.

Say, have you tried using green birch before?  When I lived up north we smoked a lot of fish but had no access to good woods in the '80's.  So we used birch and it was great.

And I never mentioned this in my post but if one takes old oak boards they can be cut into 2 1/2" squares, drill lots of holes in the wood as I do with the branches and manually load them on the slider with 3 pucks behind to push them forward every 20 minutes.  I don't buy much wood at all.

Uncle Al

Habanero Smoker

That is a safe site, so it may be that your anti virus software was giving you a false positive. Some of the programs on Photobucket are probably acting in a way that is considered suspicious behavior. If they are not that many you can send them to me and I'll post them, I still have plenty of space on Photobucket. My email is listed in my profile.

Also if you are nervous about using Photobucket, you can go to the Recipe Site, go to the bottom of the page and click on "Contact Us"

or click on Community -> Member' List -> and look up Raye Minor to get his email address. Send him an email requesting space to host your pictures on his server.

I've never tried birch, but if I going to I better do it soon. Most of the birch trees are dieing in my area. I have tons of oak and black walnut trees growing. My favorite wood is peach, but since my peach tree die it is hard to find. I have a few orchards in my area, but I saw a post about wood from orchards may have too many pesticides. I need to see if there are any organic orchards nearby.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

squirtthecat

Here are Al's pics..      Pretty slick idea!