Thermapen

Started by leftcoast smoker, February 09, 2010, 07:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leftcoast smoker

Does anyone have a line on the new super fast/splash proof thermapen, I really want one but man dont know if I can justify the 120+ bucks by the time I get it, do these things ever go on sale or does anyone know of a good discount site
Leftcoast

lumpy

You might get it for $60 on ebay.

Lump

leftcoast smoker

I've been watching so far only a couple of the old style on there, kinda want the new one.
might have to bite the bullet on this
Leftcoast

classicrockgriller

I've been wanting a good insta read also.

Wonder if we could get a group together and find some discount somewhere.

I know amazon has those buy 3 get one free.

If anyone want to play in this, I'm in.

Ka Honu

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 09, 2010, 10:25:33 PMI know amazon has those buy 3 get one free.

Unfortunately not for the Thermapen.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: Ka Honu on February 09, 2010, 11:19:58 PM
Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 09, 2010, 10:25:33 PMI know amazon has those buy 3 get one free.

Unfortunately not for the Thermapen.

I have seen it somewhere and this small monkey brain will find it.

Caneyscud

I think what you thunk you saw, you did not see where you thought you saw it, but actually saw it where you did not remember seeing it. 

The Thermapen site has a package deal of 6 for $480.  - $80 each.  I think one deal has a carrying case thrown in.  I might be in for that one - can't have too many thermapens I quess!  or I'll just give my old one to my daughter.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

TTNuge

$96 + Free Shipping at King Arthur flour web site was the best I could find so far.  I'd be in for a group buy but at $80 + shipping, + shipping to each person in the deal it may not be worth the hassle to only end up saving around $5.

BigJohnT

Scott is checking on adding them to his store, so if your not in a super big hurry he might be able to offer a better price. Give him a day or two to find out what he can do.

JT

love the smoke

I dont think you will find the thermapen anywhere for really cheap
From Thermoworks web site

2. Why don't more retail outlets carry it?
Most retailers want to more than double their money. The big name chains want the most. If a product costs them $4, they want to charge you $10. The Thermapen is already priced at "Trade Pricing". Meaning, this is the price we sell it to commercial food service users and health departments. And, we offer it to the general public at the same price. Big retail chains would have to charge you much, much more and they'd still be mad that we would take your order at a lower price. The retailers that do carry the Thermapen are not making their normal mark-up so thank them if you buy there!

So if you do fins a good deal somewhere you better buy it up

LTS
LTS

classicrockgriller

Is there an alternative to Thermo pen, maybe a close second?

leftcoast smoker

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 10, 2010, 09:09:25 AM
Is there an alternative to Thermo pen, maybe a close second?
I was wondering the same thing, I see big green egg has one with a 1 second read time but not sure if its any good and cant find any reviews, But I sure would like the Thermapen
I am up for a group buy if we can get it going, we would have to send the $ to 1 member here and he/she would have to order then reship not sure if that would be too much hassle or not for someone, but yes definately count me in if it happens,

classicrockgriller

Maybe I will call Cody from Allied Kenco and see what he can do for us.

NePaSmoKer

If you all want to do the thermapen thing let me know. I can drive to fredsmusicbbq and get them, save you some $ on shipping.

oh yeah and ya'll would have to prepay cuz i poor  :-\

leftcoast smoker

prepay should be the only way anyway, wouldnt ask anyone to stick there neck out for me lol