Thermapen

Started by leftcoast smoker, February 09, 2010, 07:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

leftcoast smoker

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on February 10, 2010, 02:51:47 PM
If you all want to do the thermapen thing let me know. I can drive to fredsmusicbbq and get them, save you some $ on shipping.

oh yeah and ya'll would have to prepay cuz i poor  :-\

I see he has a buy 5 deal on the original I wonder if he would do the same for the new super fast/splash proof if enough were wanted

leftcoast smoker

mind you as CS said therma pen has buy 5 get 1 free  80 bucks each +13. bucks for ups 2nd day to whoever orders them, then shipping from them to each person up north to me probably 10.00ish usps international still under 100 shipped sounds good to me and the bonus case of course goes to whomever does the order

BigJohnT

Quote from: love the smoke on February 10, 2010, 09:04:48 AM
I dont think you will find the thermapen anywhere for really cheap
From Thermoworks web site

2. Why don't more retail outlets carry it?
Most retailers want to more than double their money. The big name chains want the most. If a product costs them $4, they want to charge you $10. The Thermapen is already priced at "Trade Pricing". Meaning, this is the price we sell it to commercial food service users and health departments. And, we offer it to the general public at the same price. Big retail chains would have to charge you much, much more and they'd still be mad that we would take your order at a lower price. The retailers that do carry the Thermapen are not making their normal mark-up so thank them if you buy there!

So if you do fins a good deal somewhere you better buy it up

LTS

We did hear back from Thermapen and they don't sell wholesale to anyone except brick and mortar stores...

Oh Well we tried.

JT

OU812

What the h*ll does a brick and mortar store need with a Thermapen?

BigJohnT

A "brick and mortar store" is one with a physical presence like your local wally world.

JT

Tiny Tim

Sounds like an opening for me....provided I can get some working capital here when all is said and done with Dad's businesses.

leftcoast smoker

Quote from: BigJohnT on February 11, 2010, 07:13:34 AM

Most retailers want to more than double their money. The big name chains want the most. If a product costs them $4, they want to charge you $10. The Thermapen is already priced at "Trade Pricing". Meaning, this is the price we sell it to commercial food service users and health departments. And, we offer it to the general public at the same price. Big retail chains would have to charge you much, much more and they'd still be mad that we would take your order at a lower price. The retailers that do carry the Thermapen are not making their normal mark-up so thank them if you buy there!

LTS

We did hear back from Thermapen and they don't sell wholesale to anyone except brick and mortar stores...

Oh Well we tried.

JT

HHHMMM I wonder where Amazon.com gets theirs from then???

classicrockgriller

lc, I think they are saying they only want to deal with companies that they think will sell alot of them.

They don't know that JT has 7000 people reading what is posted on the forum.

HawkeyeSmokes

Quote from: leftcoast smoker on February 11, 2010, 05:56:02 PM
Quote from: BigJohnT on February 11, 2010, 07:13:34 AM

LTS

Oh Well we tried.

JT

HHHMMM I wonder where Amazon.com gets theirs from then???

The one I seen on Amazon, the order is full filled by ThermoWorks which is Thermapen.
HawkeyeSmokes

ronbeaux

I have had a few and they don't like water, well except for the new splash proof ones that is. For the way I cook an el-cheapo Wally World digital works just fine if you can afford to wait a few seconds, which you should if you were paying attention in the first place.

That's all I use now and don't seem to have any problems getting a steak perfect, at least if your not counting decimals of doneness.

Are they good--- yes
Are they needed--- debatable

If your going to stand there and poke something over and over until the temp is what you call "perfect", then you are already paying attention to what you are doing and should be able to see, feel, smell, good enough to get it right.

Just my 2 cents. Yes top chefs use them. Yes they work really fast. I don't normally need to turn out many many products that I would like to keep track of and see where they are at at anytime during the cook so I just can't see where anyone would need to worry about a degree here and there because it just doesn't matter if the chicken or steak is 1.5 degrees off.
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.

classicrockgriller

ron your probably right.

I like to use an insta read as a "make sure I'm in the range"

The one I have now takes awhile to get a proper reading and I am losing heat if I decide to let it cook longer.

Do I have to have a Thermapen? naaaa.

Do I want a Thermapen?  YAAAAAA! ;D

leftcoast smoker

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 11, 2010, 06:24:26 PM
Do I have to have a Thermapen? naaaa.

Do I want a Thermapen?  YAAAAAA! ;D

Man CRG ya took the words right out of my mouth

Ka Honu

It's what I call a "quad-really" ...  a really expensive, really cool toy that you really don't need but really want.

KevinG

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Ka Honu

Nah, I just made that up.