smoked chicken questions

Started by RAF128, February 21, 2010, 06:30:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ArnieM

My camera has become part of my 'standard' kitchen tool set.  Now, if I cook and serve, my wife asks "What about the pictures?"
-- Arnie

Where there's smoke, there's food.

RAF128

Well, the chicken went into the smoker a 1pm, 25 minutes ago.   Only thing I did different was to add some of the dressing mix in a small bowl which is in the center of my stand.   Thought it might put some flavor on the inside(kind of like the beer in beer butt chicken).   What I noticed was the temp dropped almost 40 degrees when I opened the door.   It was open for maybe 30 seconds.   The PID had it up to 210 when I started and went down to 170.   Might also have something to do with chicken to.   Last time I looked the temp was coming up and I'm sure it'll be at 210 by now and happily cooking ;).   I'm looking forward to supper tonight.   Hope it's as good as every says it will be.

Caneyscud

Hey Raf - to partially overcome the drop, preheat to say 260 and when you put the meat in reset to 220 or whatever your choice.   The the 40 deg drop drops it to your desired temp. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

RAF128

Quote from: Caneyscud on February 22, 2010, 12:15:30 PM
Hey Raf - to partially overcome the drop, preheat to say 260 and when you put the meat in reset to 220 or whatever your choice.   The the 40 deg drop drops it to your desired temp. 

I'll keep that in mind.   Makes sense now that you mention it.    I just want to add.    I've been watch my PID and the temp swings is as advertise.   +/- 1*.    I've got it set at 210 and it'll go to 211 and down to 209.   Also the temp as indicated on the bradley smoke generator shows 230.   I confirmed the tower temp with a meat thermometer probe.

SnellySmokesEm

My wife got used to it.  Now she takes the pics lol
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist