barbacue chicken question

Started by unclefish, February 10, 2010, 01:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

unclefish

I am goint to fire up the smoker again this weekend, I wanted to try some half chickens or some pieces, anybody have a good recipe for some barbacue chicken and what to brine it in (dry rub or wet rub) or just cook it then add barbacue sauce for last bit. (how long) my 6 rack didn't gettover 196 degs last weekend do to cold weather 26 deg. going to be cold again this weekend. I am also going to do about 6 pork tenderlions. or should I skip the chicken thing till it gets warmer. I read some articals about the bacteria. or can i start them in smoker and finish them in oven, help need some good ideas.

FLBentRider

This is a good chicken recipe http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=46#post46

You can finish in the oven after the smoke portion is done.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

seemore

I agree with FLB on the recipe he attached.  Seemore and I have used this on quite often, and it never disappoints.
Mrs

lumpy

I have always tossed the birds in a very hot BBQ for the last few minutes just to crisp up the skin.

Good luck

Lump

RickWL63

I used that same recipe last weekend for the first time and we loved it.

Gizmo

Quote from: unclefish on February 10, 2010, 01:59:37 PM
(how long) my 6 rack didn't gettover 196 degs last weekend do to cold weather 26 deg.

Do you preheat the smoker before loading it up with meat?
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

RickWL63

unclefish

here they are i did some thighs, they do taste good a little salty, but still real good taste, i followed the instructions to. what should i do next time to cut down on the salty taste, less brine time or use less salt in the brine. thanks mike

RickWL63

Not sure what to tell you there.  I did a whole chicken.  There is a full cup of salt in the brine, so if you are not doing a full chicken next time, experiment.  The first experiment I would try would be cutting down on the salt first.

unclefish

thanks for info i will try a little less salt, i was also thinking maybe because there is less skin and more open meat from cutting up the chicken, maybe soaks into meat easier then through all that skin on whole chicken.

RickWL63

That is a good thought.

Hey, what is the fish in the picture?  Big largemouth?  I haven't been doing much fishing since I returned to the USA in 2001.  Was in Panama for 8 years and got spoiled on Peacock Bass.  I have a 6-pounder mounted on the wall.  No where near a record, but the biggest one I caught before I left.

Habanero Smoker

The thighs look good.

Brining times for chicken parts are a lot shorter then brining a whole chicken. Use the same recipe and cut your brine time down to 1 - 2 hours. Also give the chicken a quick rinse (do not soak) to wash off any surface salt.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RickWL63

Thanks HS, I knew someone more experienced would answer.   ;)

unclefish

I took my my friends kid black fishin for his first time. He caught a 10 lb and 8 lb blackfish (tautog) on his first trip I had to give him a hand they are some pretty scrappy fish for there size. great eating very white meat and have a real good taste. we catchem up here during the fall when the water is cold. peacock bass is another that I have not chaulked up a mark on board yet. one of these days.

Beaver Believer

UncleFish,

The poultry looks great.  I'll have to try that soon as we love chicken.

I noticed your "smoking" tools in picture.  Let's see - Paprika, rubber gloves and a gallon of spiced rum.   Gotta love it.