barbacue chicken question

Started by unclefish, February 10, 2010, 01:59:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beaver Believer

I looked at the recipe suggested and I didn't see the amount of smoke time?  What would you suggest a couple hours and then finish on the grill or in the oven?  Thanks.

unclefish

I did 3hrs 20minuts of smoke I loaded hickory and apple every other one, I did pre heat it to 225 deg with smoke that what the extra 20 min of smoke was for. I had 8lb lion and 4 terderlions, 1 rack babybacks, also and those thighs. I put a meat term. in chicken brought it up to 150 deg then put it in the oven to bring up and crisp it up, i pulled it at 170 deg out of oven. did the same with the lions besides i could only get them to 140 degs and then i brought those up to 150 deg then foil towel cooler trick, came out awsome. my total time was from 10 am till 4pm with the 8lb lion coming out last, i had friends coming over for 5 pm to eat.todays lunch just finished up a nice thin sliced pork sandwich toasted roll with some olive oil butter and garlic powder. loaded it with sweet baby rays hickory brown sugar sauce, and the first big wreck just happend at daytona. gotta go back to watchin the race.

unclefish

I braught my smoker to work on friday, I brined the chicken thighs for 1 1/2 hours then rinsed then i soaked in italian dressing with some extra garlic the night before, i fired it up at 7 am by 11 am i had my chicken up to 145 deg then i took it out put on the grill brought it up to 175 degs, by far the the best chicken i have had in a long time not salty at all. I also did 4 pork tenderlions and about 30 ABT's I did the same put on grill bring up temp. I had 6 mechanics and 4 office people and couple of sales guys stop in an eat. everybody was lickin the chomps for the rest of the day. thanks for info on the chicken.

classicrockgriller

Sounds like you made some new converts.

leftcoast smoker

Quote from: unclefish on February 10, 2010, 01:59:37 PM
I am goint to fire up the smoker again this weekend, I wanted to try some half chickens or some pieces, anybody have a good recipe for some barbacue chicken and what to brine it in (dry rub or wet rub) or just cook it then add barbacue sauce for last bit. (how long) my 6 rack didn't gettover 196 degs last weekend do to cold weather 26 deg. going to be cold again this weekend. I am also going to do about 6 pork tenderlions. or should I skip the chicken thing till it gets warmer. I read some articals about the bacteria. or can i start them in smoker and finish them in oven, help need some good ideas.

is it just me or does unclefish have visitors

classicrockgriller

Quote from: leftcoast smoker on February 20, 2010, 09:31:48 PM
Quote from: unclefish on February 10, 2010, 01:59:37 PM
I am goint to fire up the smoker again this weekend, I wanted to try some half chickens or some pieces, anybody have a good recipe for some barbacue chicken and what to brine it in (dry rub or wet rub) or just cook it then add barbacue sauce for last bit. (how long) my 6 rack didn't gettover 196 degs last weekend do to cold weather 26 deg. going to be cold again this weekend. I am also going to do about 6 pork tenderlions. or should I skip the chicken thing till it gets warmer. I read some articals about the bacteria. or can i start them in smoker and finish them in oven, help need some good ideas.

is it just me or does unclefish have visitors

Geez! I see them now. ;D

KevinG

Uh oh, left the gates open on area 51?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

unclefish

even the god dam aliens smelt my smoker, I was wondering were that extra rack of food went???? some how I am missing another bottle of captain morgan to.. who should I call "MEN IN BLACK" WILL SMITH.

leftcoast smoker

KevinG

Quote from: unclefish on February 21, 2010, 08:39:22 AM
even the god dam aliens smelt my smoker, I was wondering were that extra rack of food went???? some how I am missing another bottle of captain morgan to.. who should I call "MEN IN BLACK" WILL SMITH.

We got a guy down here in Arizona called Sheriff Joe Arpaio. He's really good at rounding up aliens.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Smokey the Bear.

Unclefish, do you have your smoker outside or inside. If you want more heat retension then you could put it in a shed or something if it is outside.I have mine in the shed with some 2" insulation built around it on half of the smoker,it holds heat great and comes up fast with the extra insulation.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

unclefish

no shed so I usually make some type of wind blocker and leave it half in garage. hopefully it will start getting warmer here in another month.

ronbeaux

If dem aliens smelled dat from outer space, I need to make me a road trip in your direction!
The fight isn't over until the winner says it is.