Digital Smoker Problem

Started by jevans68, February 08, 2010, 02:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jevans68

My smoker started acting up on me this weekend!  I have the 4 rack digital smoker, and love it.  My problem is that the unit will power on, but the only buttons that will work on the digital control panel are the oven on/off, the smoker on/off, and the C/F button.  I cannot adjust the time, nor can I adjust the temperature...as I get no response from pressing either the "up" or "down" arrows.  When the unit is on, though, it does appear to be heating normally.  I have tried unplugging all of the cords and then plugging them back in, in the correct order, and this did not rectify the issue.  Anyone else experience this issue or have any suggestions?

Habanero Smoker

You may have a loose or disconnected wire inside the generator.

This will help you in taking the generator apart, just remember the generator in the link is form an OBS.

Opening the generator.

Here is a link to FAQ's that may be of further help.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

KevinG

I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but did you press the temp button first before pressing the up/down or the time button before pressing the up/down?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Gizmo

Quote from: KevinG on February 08, 2010, 02:58:17 PM
I'm not trying to be a wise guy, but did you press the temp button first before pressing the up/down or the time button before pressing the up/down?

I was thinking the same thing as Kevin here.  When you press on the oven set time and then the up or down arrow, do you hear a little snap and feel a tactil depression when you press on the button area?  Some have had problems with their fingers either being large and not pressing firmly in the area where the button is to depress it fully, or are just not pressing hard enough to activate the buttons.  Just a couple of thoughts for you to try.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

There are times when I have had to use a fingernail to get the buttons to depress properly when my DBS was new.  Not so much of a problem now.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

OU812

Dont want to crash the party guys but mine did that just before it took a crap.

The control board went bad.

Started off not bein able to adjust the smoke time up or down then not being able to turn on the smoke side then the hole thing crapped out all at once.

Had to get a new generator.

Hope you get yours figured out.

lumpy

OU
How old was your smoker when this happened?

Lump

OU812

Just under a year and a half.

Now I keep the generator in the basement.