Javelina Hunt

Started by KevinG, February 14, 2010, 12:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KevinG

Boy I gotta tell you, I am miserable at this sport. I have looked high, looked low, walked washes, desert, and mountain tops, I've searched valleys, streams, and water tanks. Been out before first light and stayed out till dark. Used binoculars, tried calling, tried sitting, walking, scoping, etc. I cannot for the life of me find these darn little pig wannabes. Hunting season starts the end of this week. Has anybody got any advice on how to get a javelina, before I waste an entire week doing the same crap I've already tried unsuccessfully?
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

Can you throw corn out?

Something I do for Feral Hogs is take a spade shove and dig a whole as deep as you can

and put some corn in the whole sprinkle some cherry koolaid on the corn, then more corn, etc, etc

fill up the whole. Feral hogs love it.

Also a product called Hogs gone wild.

KevinG

I"ll have to double check the regs when I get home, but that sounds like a good idea.

hal4uk

Had to Google that beast... 
Evidently, you can sniff 'em out..

Peccaries have scent glands below each eye and another on their back, though these are believed to be rudimentary in Pecari maximus. They use the scent to mark herd territories, which range from 75 to 700 acres (2.8 km2). They also mark other herd members with these scent glands by rubbing one against another. The pungent odor allows peccaries to recognize other members of the herd, despite their myopic vision. The odor is strong enough to be picked up by humans, which earns the peccary the nickname of skunk pig.

No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KevinG

That is a definite option, as long as my allergies don't kick in, but so far I haven't even smelled anything abnormal yet either. I'm about to pull what's left of my hair out trying to find these buggers.

hal4uk

They also tend to run in herds...  Know anyone with a Cessna?
No Swine Left Behind KCBS BBQ Team
Peoria Custom Cookers "Meat Monster"
Lang Clone - 'Blue October'
Original Bradley Smoker
MAK 1 Star General
Traeger Lil' Tex
Backwoods Chubby

KevinG

That would be nice, but that one is definitely a no no according to game & fish. I did however not see anything in there about baiting, so I might get lucky if they like corn like CRG suggested.

classicrockgriller

I was wrong about the name of the Hog Bait.

It's not "Hogs Gone Wild". Got that confused with the DVD they sell on TV.

("Girls Gone Wild") ;D Kinda the same thing just different animals.

It's Called "Hog Wild"

Also, if it is dry there, might try to stay in an area where water is at.

If you have water in ditches and puddles in roads, then that might be no good.

KevinG

;D :D ;D Don't want to get those mixed up in the bedroom. It might not make the wife too happy. It's still a little wet out here from the rains a couple of weeks ago. They dumped pretty hard on us, so there's still plenty of puddles.

KevinG

Here's a picture of the little buggers.

seemore

Kevin, is it in Venzuela or Argentina where they round them up and eat them?  I think it is in one of those countries......

KevinG

I haven't heard of that, but I do know they live all the way down in South America, they're pretty recent here in the U.S., only a couple hundred years.

KevinG

I just found out why I can't find any Javelina out there.

The stupid things are living in the neighborhoods.

classicrockgriller

You know if you shoot one you have to take the meat.

If not you can get fined for wasted resources.

My friend that works on a west Texas ranch calls them rodent pigs.

muzzletim

Kevin,

I have a friend that hunts them here in New Mexico. He spent the whole week hunting them and never seen a thing. On his last day he was sitting in the car having lunch and had decided to head back home. He had a couple of sandwiches he had not eaten and threw them out the window to get rid of them. He decided to take a short nap before the long drive home. He said he had dozed for maybe 10 minutes when he awoke and looked around. He said here was a herd of about twenty of them fighting over the old sanwiches he threw out! He was able to shoot two of them.

Tim
Tim