Javelina Hunt

Started by KevinG, February 14, 2010, 12:16:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aiteeyo

I deer hunt on a working farm in north Texas and they're considered pests...no season, no regulations, no limits.

We usually wait till about 2 in the morning and then corral 'em with the truck and spotlight and pick them off one by one.

Most we ever got in one night was 14.  Not very good eatin', but the coyotes love 'em!

KevinG

Well it turns out I didn't need the bait after all. I finally bagged my first Javelina. I really didn't think it was going to happen this year. Went out scouting 5 times and didn't see anything until the last scouting trip which I thought I saw about 8 laying down, but never could tell for sure.The day started off with me waking up late, I packed the last few things in the truck and headed out. I made it before dark still and took a little nap. Once the other hunters starting showing up, I decided it would probably be wise to watch where they go, and hopefully one of them will know what they're doing. Well, they didn't, I went near a couple of groups and parked, but didn't set up camp. I got out and started walking and climbed a mountain to scout, nothing but a couple of mule deer, it was pretty cool though cause I caught them just before they bedded down. It's amazing how they disappear. Decided to move close to a wash on the other side about 10 miles away. It was about noon, so I figured I'd eat and set up camp, since it didn't look like I would get one today. After that I headed out down the wash, then climbed a couple of mountains and scope. I started getting tired, and started walking slow, and looking, and walking slow and looking, etc. etc. until I started to get a whiff of something occasionally. I didn't see anything and then the smell went away, but every time I moved I'd get another whiff, I thought I might be sweating pretty hard from the climb so I ignored it. Next thing I know, I hear what sounds like a horse walking slowly up behind me. I didn't want to turn and scare whatever it was, so I kinda of just nudged my head and cranked my eyeballs. I couldn't believe it, a Javelina was right behind me not more than 3 yards. He kept sniffing and walk a little, then sniff and walk a little. I was freaking out, how the heck can I turn and shoot him. Finally I just decided to do it, I got off a bad shot cause he was so close and hit him high. He ran but I hit him in the spine so he was dragging his feet. I shot again and again all going too darn high, finally I hit him again. He stopped, but wouldn't give up. He finally went down. I started to move close to grab him and he turned and jumped at me, snapping his teeth. I must have jumped back a mile. By this time I ran out of bullets on my 30-06, but I still had my hand gun. I hit him again perfectly, but he still wouldn't die. What the heck! I decided to wait him out, and he finally expired. I dragged him out of the bush and started cleaning him. As soon as I got near his nuggets, he kicked his legs and I jumped about 3 feet. I finally finished and was going to mark the spot with my GPS, but it died on me. Oh well, then I had the fun of trying to carry the 40 pound beast back to the truck which at this point was over a mile and a half. Not an easy task carrying the pig, rifle, fanny pack, and not sure where you're going. I ended up setting the pig down about 2 or 3 times and looking ahead to find the truck. I finally made it! Woo Hoo! Boy those things sure stink to high heaven. It smells like really bad B O. I got home and took a shower, and it still smells on me. I'm hoping I didn't screw the pelt up too bad, cause I want to get him mounted.

Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

smokeitall

That is pretty cool, way to go.  What state are you hunting in?
SIA

classicrockgriller

Congrats Kevin!

So you didn't find the pig, the pig found you! ;D

Glad you got one.

KevinG

Hunting in Arizona smoketail. This is my second year trying, I really think I got lucky with this one.

CRG - you got that right. If it weren't for him I'd still be out there. I must have looked his direction 5 times and didn't see anything. Where do those things come from? I still can't get over how close he was to me and didn't even realize I was standing right in front of him. They got it right when they say Javelina can't see to good.

FLBentRider

Nice KG.

When I have a better connection(camping right now) I'll tell about my first pig...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Pachanga

Kevin,

That's a great story.  Glad you bagged one.

Pachanga

KevinG

Thanks, Pachanga!

FL - Thanks, & looking forward to hearing your story.

HawkeyeSmokes

Congrats Kevin!

Glad to hear you had a successful hunt.

;D
HawkeyeSmokes

Quarlow

Quote from: KevinG on February 16, 2010, 12:04:32 PM
I just found out why I can't find any Javelina out there.

The stupid things are living in the neighborhoods.
Maybe your neighbours would look the other way so you good bag one on their lawn. :D :D :D Sounds like you brought home the swiss cheese model. ;D ;D Congrats on your hunt Kevin.
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

KevinG

;D :D ;D :D, Yep, should've got him on Sunday - holy pig!

Tenpoint5

Good Job Kevin. So like you the new Pied Kevin Piper of the Javelina?
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KevinG

Quote from: Tenpoint5 on February 21, 2010, 02:02:49 PM
Good Job Kevin. So like you the new Pied Kevin Piper of the Javelina?

The only music I play recently is tooting out the rear. Guess it must work, cause he didn't smell too different. ;D

OU812

Sounds like you had fun gettin your first pig.  ;D

With something that close I would have pulled my pistol first.

The main thing is you got him, good job.

RickWL63

Congrats Kevin.  The only time I tried it was bow hunting near Sierra Vista, AZ.  Hiked a lot but didn't see much, other than sign they were around.  Glad you bagged one.