OBS or DBS

Started by JustusIV, February 13, 2010, 10:17:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustusIV

So I just got done with watching 8 hours of youtube videos, visiting my local scheels and not buying yet, picking up my GF parents smoker (non-Bradley), buying everything i need for a nice pork butt firing it up, and stumbling upon this great forum.
Just by this community alone it looks like Bradley is the way to go.
However OBS or DBS?
Seems like some people are just picking up the OBS and adding a PID but is there any real advantage to that over the DBS?
If i buy the OBS in 6 months will i be saying damn i should have bought the DBS?

*EDIT*
Didnt really use the search button :P
http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=12982.0

HawkeyeSmokes

Welcome to the forum JustusIV .

No, you won't regret buying the OBS. The one advantage the DBS does have is the 6 rack smoker.

The PID works great with either one!
HawkeyeSmokes

leftcoast smoker

I have the DBS with an Auber pid if I had to do over again I would simply buy the OBS and the Auber pid dual probe with 2 relays This costs about the same as the DBS but with way more accuracy and the ability with the 2 relay pid the option of controlling the smoke generator as well
just my opinion
Leftcoast

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the Forum

This will be probably discussed a 100 more times.

I started with a DBS4rk and later added an Auber PID when they came out with the dual probe.

If I was gonna get a 4rk AND a Auber, I would get the OBS.

If you need the space of the 6rk, you have to go Digital.

I have outgrown my 4rk and have ordered a 6rk Digital.

GusRobin

Quote from: leftcoast smoker on February 13, 2010, 10:35:00 PM
I have the DBS with an Auber pid if I had to do over again I would simply buy the OBS and the Auber pid dual probe with 2 relays This costs about the same as the DBS but with way more accuracy and the ability with the 2 relay pid the option of controlling the smoke generator as well
just my opinion
Leftcoast

Leftcoast - how do you control the smoke generator with pid?
"It ain't worth missing someone from your past- there is a reason they didn't make it to your future."

"Life is tough, it is even tougher when you are stupid"

Don't curse the storm, learn to dance in the rain.

JustusIV

Ok so I guess I don't really understand the advantages of the PID over the DBS, seems like they kinda do the same thing?

KevinG

They do similar things, and the PID isn't really necessary, however the PID does control the temperature swings better than than the stock digital and the PID does have programming capabilities for ramping temperatures at different intervals (I believe both time and or temperature). I personally don't own one, but want to soon, especially the new dual probe one.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

classicrockgriller

The PID will keep the temp swings tighter (+ or - 2*) than the digital.

JustusIV

Ok my game plan then is to go get the OBS and buy the PID down the read, will cook mainly Butts and Ribs to start.
Next question is what temp reader, I am seeing you guys say Maverick everywhere but there are a lot of models.

classicrockgriller

JustusIV

Quote from: classicrockgriller on February 14, 2010, 09:24:10 AM
ET-73

That is the one i was seeing, and i was googling for information but judging by your post count i will just take your word for it.
Thanks guys, off to the store to by my new OBS!!!!!!!

leftcoast smoker

Leftcoast - how do you control the smoke generator with pid?
[/quote]
The Auber with dual probe and 2 relay set-up will allow you to set either relay 1 or relay 2 to pull in and turn on the smoke generator and keep it on for your programmed time period then shut it off after that. this works on the OBS only, it doesn't seem to work with the DBS though it will however turn it off if you like, maybe with some wiring modifications you could get it to work but why bother you can still use the digital SG with the pid anyway and get the same result, hope this makes sense

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum JustusIV!
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!