Smoked Salmon in a Rosee pasta sauce

Started by Paddlinpaul, February 15, 2010, 04:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paddlinpaul

I smoked about 7lbs of salmon yesterday and thought I would get creative tonight.
1/2 cup of jarred pasta tomato sauce
1/2 cup 10% cream
3 tbsp tomato paste
6 cloves of garlic
oregano and basil to taste
8 oz of smoke salmon cut in bite sized chunks

Mixed everything together in a sauce pot and simmered for about 1/2 hour. Poured over some whole wheat pasta.

served 2

Did it ever turn out well. I'll definitely make that one again. I thinking some pesto in the sauce would've been good, maybe next time.
With my Bradley, no one tells me to quit smoking!

Habanero Smoker

Looks like a nice recipe. Let us know how the pesto works out in this dish.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

seemore

I'm with Habs.  We have some pesto and need to find a use for it.
By the way, this pasta dish sounds exquisite.
Mrs

Paddlinpaul

Made it tonight with 4 tbsp of pesto, left out the basil and oregano. It was also really good. I can't say that I preferred one over the other. I'll have to get a second opinion on this.

Habs, if you want to post it go ahead with either method or both.

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Paddlinpaul on February 21, 2010, 05:57:14 PM
Made it tonight with 4 tbsp of pesto, left out the basil and oregano. It was also really good. I can't say that I preferred one over the other. I'll have to get a second opinion on this.

Habs, if you want to post it go ahead with either method or both.

Great!

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Quarlow

paul did you use everything except the oregano and basil and sub in in the pesto? or do you use some other stuff in plce of the tomato paste and sauce?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ
One Big Easy, plus one in a box.

Paddlinpaul

Did it the same except added the pesto and left out the basil and oregano. I figured they are in the pesto anyway.

Quarlow

One more question: how was your salmon smoked. Was it more of a moist flesh to the fish or like mine which is pretty dry?
I like to walk threw life on the path of least resistance. But sometimes the path needs a good kick in the ass.

OBS
BBQ

Paddlinpaul

It is fairly moist. I do the smoked lox recipe from the cook book that came with the smoker. It is cured and cold smoked. Simmering in the sauce would moisten it up somewhat if it is dry I'd think.

Quarlow

Thanks Paul. I will be trying this for sure. I had intended to try the lox recipe just for a change. I have this recipe in my notepad if anyone wants it.

OBS
BBQ

Habanero Smoker

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smokey the Bear.

I have been thinking about trying a creamy garlic sauce ( white sauce ) with Kummocks salmon recipe and broccoli florets with bowtie pasta. I might give it a try tomorrow for lunch and let ya know how it is.
If it has eyes and a head,I would probably eat it. Eh

Paddlinpaul

Thanks Habs.
StB - Yours sounds good also. Please do let us know how it turns out and post the recipe please if it is good.

Smokey the Bear.

Paul, congrats on makin it to the recipe site. I will let you know how it tastes.

Smokey the Bear.

It was delicious. I will post a review with photos.