Just ordered 4 rack Digital

Started by OTB, February 17, 2010, 09:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

I have been looking at these units for a couple of years now.  I currently have a "little chief" smoker, but wanted something I could start before I went to bed at night and be ready in morning or next afternoon.

SO...I just ordered the 4 rack digital from Costco.

It will be about a week before it gets delivered so I am wondering what your recommendations are about what I should gather to get ready.

I have read about the Maverick dual probe thermometer, but not sure I need it.  I currently have a brookstone wireless probe thermometer, but you guys can let me know if that is not good enough.
Do I need the metal pucks?
Any really good posts I should be looking at while I wait in anticipation of my new smoker arriving.

Thanks in advance!!  I just want to be all set to start as soon as it arrives and I can unpack the box.

Toker

Welcome here OTB!
If i were you, i would get these things to use with your Digital Smoker: 1 set of 3 bubba pucks (you called it metal pucks), 1 Maverick, 1 dual probe pid controller, some high temp jerky screens, 1 cold smoke adaptor also considering a circulation fan for evenly distribute the heat in your smoker and full of wood chips. At least to start then, adjust yourself when the experience gets in.

OTB

Thanks for the reply.  I can't seem to find a source for bubba pucks.  Are they still available?  I see lots of "knock-offs" on ebay, but I also hear that they can do damage if they are not the correct specs.

Toker

Here is the email for the bubba pucks just send an email and he will get back asap. [email protected]

leftcoast smoker

Welcome and congrats on your purchase.
once you get started you might want a bigger freezer LOL
just kidding but if your like me I do tend to get carried away its all so good I just can't help myself
Leftcoast

OTB

Looks like I will be ordering the bubba pucks from yard and pool.  Have to decide between the et-7 and et-73 thermometers.  PID and cold smoker may be an overkill for me just starting with this new smoker.

Habanero Smoker

Welcome to the forum.

While waiting for you smoker, here are a few links that may be of interest.

Recipe Site
Bradley FAQ's

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RAF128

Don't forget to get an assortment of bisquettes.    I've got a cold smoke adapter and wish I'd have bought it sooner.   I'll be using it later today and over night on some smoked salmon.    Just got a PID.   Wish I'd had that sooner too.   Good luck.

classicrockgriller

Welcome to the forum OTB.

You can also go to Bradley's home page and download the manual for your smoker and read over it.

MPTubbs

Jump on in OBT!

I just bought my second ET-73 for my second smoker....I like that toy over the others.

PID...you don't need it, but I bet you own one in the near future.

If your so cool....where's your Tattoo.

Caneyscud

I love my toys - and yes I have a bunch of powered and electronic thingies.  But just to keep it in perspective - as long as you have the DBS and some pucks - you have all you "need".  I've cooked a lot of stuff with just those two things. 

1.  Bubba pucks are nice (and some with real "bling" are available) - what they do is save at least 1/2 of a puck each smoke.  If you are diligent, you might not wasted that puck.  If you waste a whole puck on each smoke, at the current price of pucks it would take 70 smokes for pay back - if less that an whole puck is wasted, then even longer for pay back. 
2. Maverick - again nice, but not "necessary".  The digital readout on the digital panel is plenty fine.  Just a little practice and you adjust to what it is showing.  I barely use my Mav any more.  I'm used to the readout and just use a thermapen near the end of the cook.  Sometimes I don't even use the thermapen - just test for doneness.  What the Mav has done for me more than on one occassion has warned me something wasn't right - too hot (flaming) or too cold (fire out) - but on one of my other smokers!
3. - PID - again a nice, fun toyol!  The main purpose is that it allows for tighter temperature  control by controlling temp. swings.  It also can be used to program temperature changes.  If all you are going to do are butts, briskets, chicken, ribs, chuckies, fish, fatties - heck who cares about the temperature changes.  You should not be cooking to time but to doneness (tenderness).  As long as you are in the low-n-slow range constant temp is not much of an issue.  Most don't question their ovens, but they have big swings also - but you don't see PID's on them. 
4. - Jerky screens - Not sure why I'd want to wash two things rather than one.  That is if I even washed my grills often.
5. - Cold smoke adaptor.  Again, a nice gadget, but you can do the same thing with a cardboard box and some dryer vent. 
6. - Don't have a fan in my DBS, and question if I want one.  One theory says it should work, while another says why - the DBS is an insulated box and is such a relatively small smoker that the temp differential is largely due to proximity to radiant heat from the element.   A fan might not help in that instance.  One can deal with it by blocking the radiated heat somehow or rotating racks.   

Not trying to stop you from getting or buying any of the above things, but giving you another opinion - with some reasoning behind them.  Cost can be an intimidating factor, especially when all you want to do is to smoke some butts. 

OBTW - you can take my opinion and 50 cents and go buy yourself a half a cup of coffee if you so desire!   ;D ;D ;D  That's probably what my opinion is worth. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KevinG

Welcome OBT, Caney makes some very good points, but at the very least I still would recommend a meat thermometer. Yes an ET7 or 73 is really nice, but anything to verify temp. Just a safety precaution.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OTB

Thanks for all the great info.

I have ordered a 5 Flavor Variety, 60-Pack of bisquites, to add to the hickory that will be coming with the unit.  It will also come with a cover.  Next I will order the ET-7 thermometer.

Looks like I have a lot of reading to do to get ready.  I am hoping this will be a big upgrade from my little chief I have been using.

What is the smoke output like on these?  I live in a townhouse community and my little chief would put out huge amounts of smoke for about 30 minutes then die off until I re-filled the pan.  I always wondered which I was smoking more, the meat or my neighbors.  :,)  From the videos of the Bradley I have seen, it looks like it just puts out a steady amount of smoke, but most of it stays in the cabinet where it belongs (with the meat).  I am hoping I can set it to smoke a pork butt at night before I go to sleep, have it smoke for a few hours, then cook the rest of the way and be ready by the next morning or afternoon.   Just hope I don't upset my neighbors with huge clouds of smoke in their windows all night.

Thanks again!!

KevinG

It's not as big a a house fire, but bigger than a cigar.  ;D I don't think you'll have to worry about it. I run mine with the door open hoping it will come into the house. I love the smell, but it only occasionally wafts in, and it's not like I can't see through it, just a nice wiff.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

Tenpoint5

What your gonna have is some really hungry neighbors when they wake up in the morning after smelling a Boston Butt smoking/cooking all night with the windows open. Make sure they bring the beer!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!