Mavrick ET-7 or ET-73?

Started by OTB, February 17, 2010, 10:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

Plusses and minuses?  Trying to decide which one to get before my 4 rack digital arrives.

Ka Honu

Kinda depends on what you're going to use it for.  Do you want two meat probes (ET-7) or do you need a probe to monitor cabinet temp (ET-73)?  

I prefer the ET-7 because I can monitor the IT of two different pieces or kinds of meat in the smoker or use it in my Big Easy to keep track of both the breast and thigh temperatures of a turkey.  I don't have big issues with cabinet temp since I mostly do "non-sensitive" stuff in a fairly stable ambient environment and a few degrees one way or the other doesn't make that much difference.

If I did need to monitor and had to stabilize the cabinet temp more than I do now (if smoking sausage or fish, for example), I'd probably go for a PID and still use the ET-7.

I'm sure some of the others will hop in here with far more erudite and informative answers and recommendations, but that's my take.

Habanero Smoker

The ET-7 has a lot more bells and whistles then the ET-73, and you can use one of the ET-7 probes as a cabinet monitor. To monitor the cabinet, some just lay the second probe on the rack, while others have ridged up homemade clips to hang the second probe.

The ET-73, though it doesn't have all the features of the ET-7, it is a little more convenient and easier to setup for monitoring the cabinet. It's cabinet probe has a clip that makes it easy to attach to a rack.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Caneyscud

What they said!  However, I don't use my Mav, much anymore - learned to trust the digital readout for the CT and usually test for doneness, unless I'm doing something a little trickier and prone to drying out such as chicken breasts, loins, etc.  I've got the Et-7 and it has worked fine for me. 
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

KevinG

I own both the ET-7 and the ET-73 and believe I would probably stick with just the ET-7 if I did it again. It''s funny though cause I use the ET-73 all the time. The ET-7 has all the features the ET-73 does +, so it is the better investment. The only reason I use the ET-73 more is cause I opened it up and learned it first.  ;D
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

I have the ET-73 and replaced the smoker probe with another food probe and use it to monitor the meat only.

I dont need all the bells and whistles myself.

Eather way you go you wont go wrong.

OTB

Thanks for all the input.  Looking at yard and pool site I see the ET-7 is $44.99 and the ET-73 is $39.75, so for a difference of $5 I don't see why I would not go for the ET-7.  That way I can use the second probe for a second piece of meat, or for cabinet temp.

Is smoking salmon really that sensitive for cabin temp that you would install PID?  I ordered the digital version so I would not have to install PID.

OU812

Can anyone xplain or have a pic of where the on off switchs are on the ET-7 ?

Hopin they aint in the same location as the ET-73

KevinG

The ET-7 has a little smarter design, both the Tx and Rx have the switches on the outside on the back of the unit.
Rodney Dangerfield got his material from watching me.
Learn to hunt deer www.lulu.com/mediabyKevinG

OU812

Thanks Kevin

The switch on my transmiter took a crap, good thing is it crapped out when it was on. Now I have to remove the battery to shut it off.

Tiny Tim

That's how I operate both tx and rx....gotta open at least one battery cover anyway, just as easy to pop a battery.

OTB

I just ordered the ET-7 from Yard and Pool.  I also ordered a set of 3 bubba pucks.

Are there problems with range on the ET-7, or just the ET-73?  My brookstone wireless remote lets me go to the far reaches of my townhouse without a problem.

Habanero Smoker

It hard to tell what range you will get until you put the instrument in the environment that it will be used in. There are just to many factors that can cause interference and block the signal. My ET-73 is about 4 years old, and my ET-7 has better range. Note that the early ET-73's had worse reception then the newer models.

How far away does the signal have to travel, how many walls and what materials are the walls made of?

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

classicrockgriller

I have been following this thread and it has been very interesting.

I have a 73 and now I find myself wanting a 7. ;D

May try what OU has done and replace the temp probe with a product probe first.

Thanks guys for all the great info.

OTB

Habanero,
Thanks for the reply.  I live in a townhouse which ends up being about 3 levels, but it is straight up and down.  With my existing wieless theremometer I can carry the receiver pretty much all through the house.

It sounds like the best way to know is to try it when I get it.  (Duh.. I probably should have just done that instead of posting a silly question)   :) 

I will let you guys know how it works when I get it.

Thanks again.