Mavrick ET-7 or ET-73?

Started by OTB, February 17, 2010, 10:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Toker

the only difference between the et-7 and et-72 as far as i understand is that the et-7 has 2 meat probes. I have the et-73 for meat and tower temp and the et-7 for monitoring more meat pieces. + i have a pid but it is not remote so i will use my et-73 to remote my pid too.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: toker on February 21, 2010, 07:03:17 PM
the only difference between the et-7 and et-72 as far as i understand is that the et-7 has 2 meat probes. I have the et-73 for meat and tower temp and the et-7 for monitoring more meat pieces. + i have a pid but it is not remote so i will use my et-73 to remote my pid too.

toker I bet when you smoke, that thing looks like it is on Life Support.

I love all your gadgets!

Toker

LOL!!  ;D ;D it will sure be allot of cords but i will be sure of my temps.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: toker on February 21, 2010, 07:32:16 PM
LOL!!  ;D ;D it will sure be allot of cords but i will be sure of my temps.

Yes you will!

Toker

The et-7 is for the auto-shut off story that we spoke friday night remember?

classicrockgriller

Yep, You go toker!

Love your post about what we can do.

Toker

But this idea comes from you i mean you re the one who told me how to handle the auto-shutoff thing. Without you i wouldn't think about it. :D

classicrockgriller

I musta had my helment off! ;D

Toker

And also i just ordered a 8 rack kit and a fan kit from Smokeitall. So i have to use it i mean more than one or two briskets at the time to enjoy it a bit at least to make it worth it. So far i never cooked more than 2 pieces at the time

classicrockgriller

that will give you alot of flexibility in placment of your racks.

I love mine.

Toker

And the ability to add a water pan under my brisket on the lowest rack when my butcher overtrim the fat on it like last time i bought from him. Dont know if it will change anything but last time, it came out to dry.

classicrockgriller

toker, I have been using tea bags in my water bowl and I like it.

If nothing else, it smells good with the smoke.

Toker

classicrockgriller

Caneyscud

Quote from: idahosmoke on February 21, 2010, 06:38:28 PM
Has anyone used an ET-72?  Is this the cheaper version of the ET-7?

It is my understanding you buy the ET-73 to monitor the box temp, buy the ET-7 or ET-72 for IT of your meats?

Please correct me if I am wrong. I just bought the ET-72, but now wondering if I should have bought the ET-7??? Any difference beyond having dual temp ability?
Idahosmoke

The ET-72 comes with only one probe - a so-called "meat probe"

The ET-7 comes with two "meat probes"

The ET-73 comes with one "meat probe" and one "cabinet probe"

They all have different receivers and how they work.  But all work similarly.  The ET-7 seems more flexible for use.  The 72 only has the one probe and the 73 has the one cabinet probe, that is harder to use for other uses.  Read their reviews.  I have also used cheap WallyWorld ones and have had good luck with them at 1/2 the price - although not dual probes.  I have an ET-7 and have had good luck with it, however, I hardly use it anymore - for various and sundry reasons.  My smokes and like my babies, I take care of them, I don't just go off and sleep through them.  H E double hockey sticks - what kind of fun is that!    ;D ;D  This smoking think is not an exact science thing.  Within reason, that butt, brisket, ribs doesn't care if you are cooking it at an exact 225 or an average 225 or even 215 or 240.   Those remote reading thermometers, can give you a false sense of security.  What happens when during a smoke, a smoke spot roars off toward your smoker and disrupts the signal between the tx and the rx?  Sometimes they just shut down with no warning - while ones like the Mavericks continue to show the last recorded temp on the rx.  So then, if the smoker drops to 100 or raises to 350, you don't have a clue and you end up with a raw butt, or worse yet, a big piece of leather.  Are they handy yes, but to be sure, you still need to treat your smokes as you treat your wives - give them your time.  With all that being said, they are very good an monitoring for major problems.  Smokers have been known to flame, and having a Maverick set up monitoring cabinet temps, with a high temp alarm set up could warn you of this problem!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"