Mavrick ET-7 or ET-73?

Started by OTB, February 17, 2010, 10:16:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OTB

Two Questions.

With the ET-7, I assume I can rig one of the probes to monitor cabin temp.  I was thinking of using a binder clip to clip it to one of the racks.  Is this ok?

Also, my first try at smoking in my new smoker is going to be ribs (bb or spare).  From all the recipes it seems that you don't even monitor the temp on these ribs, you do the 3-2-1 and check for the meat pulling away from the bone.  Is it even worth placing a probe in, and if so, do you also put it through the foil for the (2) part?

FLBentRider

I thnk it would be OK to clip it. I just dangle mine in through the jerky screen.

I suppose you could take temps on ribs, most don't. When you see the meat pulling back on the bones, they are usually about done. It also depends on how meaty the ribs are. Meatier (meteor?) ribs will take longer.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OU812

When doin ribs I dont use a probe to check if there done.

I do the 3 hr smoke, put in foil, splash the ribs with some sort of mop throw back in the smoker, no smoke, and keep in the foil till the meat starts to pull back from the end of the bones. Then take out of the foil mop again and put back in the smoker till the meat has pulled back about 1/2". Check if they are done to your likin then roll up the sleeves and dig in.

OTB

OK  That's what I thought.  I guess I might have to just dangle my thermometer probe in there or clip it just to make sure it works...but no sense in actually putting into the ribs.  Maybe I will have to throw some chicken breasts in to catch the pork fat, just so I can use the new thermometer.  :,)

SnellySmokesEm

I bought the Et-73 and have had good luck with it.  I already had another thermometer so I bought the ET-73 to monitor the cabinet temp.  I just gives me a little peace of mind in case of any flair ups or I lose track of time and the ES shuts down.  I like the remote features with the mavericks but since I'm a newbie I still hover over the ES like I am tending to a fire....
Is it bad if my wife refers to the smoker as "The Mistress"?
MasterBuilt Electric Smokehouse
Charbroil Red 4 Burner With Auto Clean
Big Easy Smoker Roaster Grill
BBQ Evangelist

OTB

Where do you folks put the "sender" end of your ET-7?  I assume the top of the smoker is too hot for the plastic.  Do you put it on a table on the side?

FLBentRider

Quote from: OTB on February 27, 2010, 07:19:17 PM
Where do you folks put the "sender" end of your ET-7?  I assume the top of the smoker is too hot for the plastic.  Do you put it on a table on the side?

I put mine on top, it is cool to the touch.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

OTB

Cool.  I was going to have to wrangle one of the remaining tv trays from the wife (who stores her craft paints on it) but if it is OK to put it on the top...all the better.

Thanks!

Habanero Smoker

Just make sure you keep it far enough from the vent so that moisture does not collect on the transmitter.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Captainslug

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on February 28, 2010, 01:17:58 AM
Just make sure you keep it far enough from the vent so that moisture does not collect on the transmitter.

Maverick sells 6ft hi-temp probe replacements. It actually mentions that in the manual.  The extra length should help a lot.  I have ordered mine already and I have yet to receive my Maverick itself!
Bradley Digital 4 Rack Smoker, 8 Std Racks, cold smoke adapter, 3 alum. pucks, 2nd element, circ. fan, Dual probe PID

OTB

UPDATE:  I tried my ET-7 today....and....   it is going back.

I have read the threads about modifying the antenna, but I think I have a really bad one.  At 5 feet (no walls just air) it loses signal.

I will try to get another one before I even think about the mod.

classicrockgriller

Quote from: OTB on March 07, 2010, 05:47:19 PM
UPDATE:  I tried my ET-7 today....and....   it is going back.

I have read the threads about modifying the antenna, but I think I have a really bad one.  At 5 feet (no walls just air) it loses signal.

I will try to get another one before I even think about the mod.

Just a thought, the battery supply is important to the transmission.

It has been mention to used fresh lithium batteries and you will get a stronger signal.

I buy a brick of batteries and on a long smoke I change them out and let my son use

the old ones up in his Game kid/Ipod/whatever else.

OTB

Thanks.  They were brand new batteries.